This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE2 im - Shoulder clicking and pain

Started by Marek Dibusz, April 11, 2016 · 4 Replies · 177 Views

Marek Dibusz

Hello there,

 

on the step 4 of the listed element, I am experiencing some massive clicking accompanied by pain that is getting worse whilst performing the "im" (more sets = more pain).

At first, from the 2nd week, I tried to off-set it with some prehab (grab a bungee cord and do some moving around with the shoulders, so as to get the blood going) - it gets better, but still, later sets are just weird - the pain is not THAT great, but it hurts - and if I am not cardinally wrong, joint pain is a no-no.

In relation to this matter, I had similar issue, even though less accented, doing the MN/PE 1 im - there I just increased the weight from 5 kg to 10 kg, now I am using 20 kg and it feels stable and good.

I would like to ask, what would you guys suggest to be the best course of action:

- up the weight and see if it helps ? (currently I am using 5kg (10lbs))

- change the stance ? (I tried to overdo the rotation in the back position and it helped a little)

- see a doctor ? (if possible, I try to resolve matters conservatively)

If need be, I can provide videos of the prehab and the actual exercise, that causes pain.

 

With respect,

Marek Dibusz

Christian Nogueira

I would not up the weight in the HBP iM. It doesn't work like the MN PE1 iM. IF anything less weight might be a better option.

How's HBP PE1 and the iM feel? Do you have any shoulder condition?

 

Christian Nogueira

Now that I reread, you probably should really do less weight. Do just enough that you feel the weight, i.e., there's some resistance in the movement but you can do them easily. You may have some issue when the weight is veering offline (which in MN/PE1<im, more weight actually helps you keep the shoulder centered) so you need to use one that you can control and let the iM strengthen progressively what needs to be strengthened.

This is my opinion, but it is your shoulder, so if in doubt stop the movement for a few weeks and if it persists see a doctor, better safe than sorry.

Marek Dibusz

Thank you for your time and opinion - I will see a doctor eventually, I guess... I do not have any condition, that I know of, but as you said - better safe than sorry

 

Léo Aïtoulha

These are the symptoms of a proximal bicep tendonitis/rotator cuff tendonitis.5 kilos is currently too heavy for you, I would recommend you to decrease the weight.
Also, don't forget to elevate your scapula at the top of the exercise before beginning the phase when your arm is backward.