I did each rep with slightly differently horizontal excursion. Please let me know anything else to keep in mind, thanks.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Eva Pelegrin, April 11, 2016 · 10 Replies · 178 Views
I did each rep with slightly differently horizontal excursion. Please let me know anything else to keep in mind, thanks.
Can I move forward to the next pressing element?
I rather be stuck with things I can't do. This one feels easy, like warm up for me. Thanks.
Thank you for the artwork honor. That's a keeper!!
Got it, no planching. That's why I did different reps with shoulder position/feet distance, as I wasn't sure what to prioritize.
Would in be ok to slide with socks to keep even less weight on the toes? I'm sure there's a reason to be on tippy toes, just curious.
Might be worth checking the course video again. In some of these form checks here it seems like people are trying to get their feets as close to hands as possible, but when you rewatch the course video that's not what the athlete is doing. It's great to try and beat the course standard and all, but it seems to me that some people are latching on to the wrong cue, and subsequently missing the important details that Zach's talking about.
Hi Travis,
i appreciate your sentiment, but not understanding why you assume I fall in the category of latching to the wrong cue.
I always watch the course videos repeatedly and the focus points. In this case I'm doing both of the focused points as described.
Notice how the athlete in the video is not nearly close to stacking his hips. Actually, only freaks and very skilled "handstanders" can do that without any lean at all.
How can one attempt to stack the hips if it's not in the video or the focus points?
I posted last Sunday because I was wondering if a slight amount of planching was desired, or if we should stay away from that, which is why I performed some reps with perpendicular arms and some with a slight lean.
I didn't get any comments until today. Now that Zach has told me exactly what else to focus on, I'll get it done.
To me the value of the course is in the forum. The execution details and work begin AFTER you post a form check. Thank you for taking the time to comment.
42 minutes ago, Zach Armijo said:You must forgive some of the bluntness from myself or other Mods/Coaches.
This is a point where we forget the amount of experience we have clouds the basic rendition of an element sometimes and I/we forget a beginners perspective just simply not knowing these points.
Oh, don’t you worry about the bluntness. It didn’t even cross my mind – ever. On the contrary, you guys have a no BS attitude and I like that. I’ve wrestled with the boys on stinky mats and live in NYC. I think I’m blunt-proofed.
I’ve already know that the initial focus points are simple on purpose to separate the riff-faff and the real meat in the forum. I even know about the points you mentioned since I’ve had previous beginner experience in HS/pHS. I’m here to learn the GB way.
49 minutes ago, Zach Armijo said:Beautifully said. If you have the courage to expose your own weaknesses to the public in pursuit of bettering yourself, then you have the biggest advantage over most. Doing such can save you YEARS of spinning your wheels.
That is not courage, but thanks. It's just common sense and “getting the job done” in my view. I don't have time to waist.
Eva, I wasn't trying to be dismissive or condescending. Sorry if I came across that way. I never said anything about stacking hips. It was a general comment, and as much a reminder to myself as anyone else, so probably a specific form check thread was the wrong place to put it. I know I have and still do on occasion develop a bad habit on an element which I've already reviewed many, many times. Once I recheck the video I wonder what the hell I was thinking, but it happens. That's why a form check is exactly the right thing to do.
Travis, no need to apologize. I know you mean well and I've noticed you always have intelligent things to say. Just wanted to share that I'm paying attention and I take this work very seriously (in case nobody noticed yet). Your experience is always welcome in my threads![]()
Eva, those last reps did look better. Just noticed it. I had to make sure I watched your entire video because there is less planching on the last reps. I didn't catch that at first.
Thanks Ryan! Next if I could curl my back like you do, I'd be golden. Doesn't the grass always look greener on the other side...
Haha, Eva.