This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Programming with stretch series

Started by Tomas Johansson, April 10, 2016 · 5 Replies · 281 Views

Tomas Johansson

I do feel sore the day after a stretch session but when I plan my week could it be considered work?

I have a lot of things I want to do but my focus are the GB courses with some handstrength/climbing as my "sport" , kitesurfing once in a while for fun and mtb riding for fun and cardio a couple of times per week.

So the question, can I do the stretch as "recovery" on my rest days or would it interfere with strength gains due to not getting enough rest? I do F7 twice a week and works god for me. 

David Beckerman

I use the stretch course as a form of recovery as I have been know to get a bit sore from all the stuff I do. It is also a time thing for me as well. 

Some people do it after Foundation or later that day and find it works for them. So you might have to play around with it for you. 

Maksis Riley

I remember coach saying that if you feel fresh and loose the day after a stretch then congratulations; you have limbered. A tough stretch session will require recovery not be a recovery method in itself. 

 

I don't wabt to guaruntee this is what he said/ meant but I know that's how I feel after stretch; pretty damn sore and drained physically. 

 

It is individual though so if you feel good doing that, by all means, do it. I know that on my rest days the best thing for me is get a bit of blood flow, do some joint articulations and very light, completely passive stretching of problem areas. Then I'll happily play, be it sport or just moving around, going for a walk. I find play to be one of the most rejuvenating things I can do, mentally and physically.

 

Max

Coach Sommer

Planning the week is very individual due to how advanced someone is, time constraints, number of training sessions, once a day or twice a day, family obligations, trips etc.

In the long run, a stretch session on a recovery day will initially be challenging.  However as the body adapts and grows more mobile the perceived intensity of the stretch workouts will lessen greatly and these days will become much more of a true recovery day.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Tomas Johansson

Thank you all for taking your time to answer, I will give this some thinking.

Tomas Johansson

Ok, to start I will do this. I have taken into account my current strengths, weaknesses and the time I have at hand. First I do the work (GB), then I play (Climb, mtb and kite). Since everything is so different I hope I can handle it even if it looks much for me at least.

The work will be:

Monday: F7, FSs and Gripper training. (Heavy day)

Tuesday: H1 + fingertraining (Easy day)

Wednesday: MSs (Easy to Medium day)

Thursday: F7 (Heavy day)

Friday: H1 + fingertraining (Easy day)

Saturday: TBs

Sunday: Rest

If I have time and energy I will throw in play on at least saturday and maybe another day aswell, climbing I can do almost any time since I fractured my wrist 6 months ago so my fingerstrength is currently holding me back from wearing the rest of my body out. I will try to avoid mtb and kite the day before a heavy day because otherwise I will be low on energy for my heavy day.