This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Sugars vs Fats

Started by Guido Franchetti, April 7, 2016 · 6 Replies · 319 Views

Florian Nagel

Interesting read. But for real, is anyone in the US of the opinion sugar would be healthy? Strange Americans!

Jeff Serven

Dr. Lustig is one of my favorites! Good work. If you read his research you will see how much of his stuff I have used. Particularly Fructose: its alcohol without the buzz. As a matter of fact there is one I printed out for coach floating around his house somewhere. 

That 90 min video is a good investment of time. Don't worry about getting every point he made, just watch it and do your best. Its dense but one of the best videos ever. 

Douglas Reinot

I read through on my phone and missed the link to the video. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'd really like to watch it.

This seems to me like a great example of "a little bit of knowledge about a complex system is dangerous."  It bothers me that some people have taken a swing to the other end of the spectrum declaring all sugars and carbs bad now, too. Fat doesn't make you fat, carbs make you fat! So don't eat bananas and potatoes. This is just nonsense. My great-grandparents and grandparents Thrive on a diet of meat, potatoes, a variety of vegetables and physical activity. On her 97th birthday this last year, my great-grandma revealed her secret to such a long-healthspan: eat your vegetables and play outside every day. 

While prevailing wisdom isn't always right, we do have several millennia of intuition about what we should be eating to be healthy. Instead of using the research to inform subtle changes to our diet(as we should), we try to over optimize in one direction. I'm only about 2/3rds of the way through, but part of why I like Thrive is that we've started at a foundation of having a balanced diet. From here Jeff hits us with some nuance and knowledge a few times a week, but the core message doesn't change: eat your vegetables and play outside every day.

Guido Franchetti

Thanks Jeff, already in the article I could read some things which reminded me of advice you gave in the forum, e.g. that cholesterol in the blood is mostly produced in the liver and only about 25% comes from what ones eat.

There was no link, but with the title it was easy enough to find the video, here it is

I am also looking forward to watch it when I have some spare time. And I agree, it is refreshing to see Jeff having us establish a foundation of healthy basic nutrition first, without extreme positions and without delving in extreme or specialised regimes which may have their utility for special purposes, but not as an all-year-round way of eating. 

Romain Laine

I'm halfway through the video "Sugar : The Bitter Truth".

My English is far from perfect so I may miss some important points but so far it has been very instructive. Shocking as well.

Jeff Serven
14 hours ago, Douglas Reinot said:

This seems to me like a great example of "a little bit of knowledge about a complex system is dangerous."  It bothers me that some people have taken a swing to the other end of the spectrum declaring all sugars and carbs bad now, too. Fat doesn't make you fat, carbs make you fat! So don't eat bananas and potatoes. This is just nonsense.

Amen brother! Amen!