This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How strong can you get while staying small?

Started by Young Chan Park, April 6, 2016 · 11 Replies · 589 Views

Young Chan Park

I'm 179cm in height and weigh 67kg.

i already think I eat alot but I've never been above 70kg in my life... I had a competition coming up so I ate so much more in order to reach that weight and it wasn't enjoyable... I went back down to 67kg after the competition fairly quickly.

I understand that tension is more important than muscle mass, but what is the strength limit for the muscle?

Ive definitely gotten a lot stronger since starting the program 6 months ago while consistantly staying at 67kg. But will I be able to, say do foundation 4 while staying 67kg later?

Might be an easy answer if there is a conpetitive gymnast or coach who's of similar height and weight as me :/

 

 

Young Chan Park
14 minutes ago, Zach Armijo said:

I'm 5'6" @155lb. Completed most F4 besides manna.... :imad:. 

Doing weights just for the hell of it, I was able to do 2 dips + 125lb. Deadlift 4 reps at 335lb. Bench Press 1 rep max at 285. I'm sure my form was horrid by lifting standards, and that's by not even touching weights in years besides our weighted iM work and select elements. Nothing exceeds 35lbs (jefferson curls excluded). 

 

So....of course it's not only possible, but to be expected. 

Thank you Zach!!

That's exactly what I hoped for :D

Eva Pelegrin

Young Chan, I have my pansy moments… But for the most part, think BIG, stay STRONG! <_<

Mark Collins

It's funny how we place limitations on what we can achieve. At 187cm a 94kg I always think I am too tall and heavy. Then I need to remind myself that Foundation is just a warm up for rings training. Surely I can do the warm up.

Sean Wood
23 hours ago, Zach Armijo said:

I'm 5'6" @155lb. Completed most F4 besides manna.... :imad:. 

Doing weights just for the hell of it, I was able to do 2 dips + 125lb. Deadlift 4 reps at 335lb. Bench Press 1 rep max at 285. I'm sure my form was horrid by lifting standards, and that's by not even touching weights in years besides our weighted iM work and select elements. Nothing exceeds 35lbs (jefferson curls excluded). 

 

So....of course it's not only possible, but to be expected. 

Damn! Nice numbers Zach! This just motivated he hell out of me. To think there was a time I was working towards doing What you did from the other direction and  with No mobility yet. Don't even want to think about the injuries, pain and stiffness I'd be suffering right now to accomplish what you have. We need a mind blown emoji. Click..click..blaow

Just curious you think Any difference if your taller height and weight more?

 Regardless I'd be quite happy to be where your at without having touched a weight. just tells me I've only scratched the surfaces of this gold mine. 

Young Chan Park
11 minutes ago, Zach Armijo said:

I view those that are taller and have more weight have more to gain. It's all relative. If someone is only doing an open tuck planche at 225lbs +, then they are pressing a hell of a lot more weight than my dinky straddle planche. Even someone doing the most modest of Foundation exercises is still stronger than 80% than those that don't...if not more. 

It's like Coach always use to say: (Gymnasts) can do what you can do, almost as good as you can, but you can't do anything close to what we can do. That I have found is true to many many things in life.

One of the best sh*t eating grin moments was during a Spartan race coming up on the 10 ft wall. In order to be efficient on time for the team, I TOLD them to let me be the stepping stone so they could just reach the top of the wall, than i would stand to let them get over. When they looked at me below and said "what about you?" A few steps, a jump, and an easy dynamic muscle up hurdle over the wall with a landing, the look on their faces was priceless :P  

 

Did I train for clearing high walls? Of course not. Did I do periodic weighted dips? Hell no. Just keep doing what you're doing, and you will amaze yourself at everything MORE you can do. A 1 second gain in planche position is still massive gains in every other field. Gains in gymnastics may be steady and slow, but their output is 10x that of any other training. 

Im going to save this quote and read it every now and then..

Sean Wood

Zach-spartan race?! You're all kinds of cool aren't ya.

Paraphrasing "gains are slow and steady with 10x the output of any training for your efforts" brilliant,  going to keep that in mind as I trudge my GST journey. I think that one should show up in the dash board area for encouragement. 

Paul Gray
On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 9:14 PM, Young Chan Park said:

Ive definitely gotten a lot stronger since starting the program 6 months ago while consistantly staying at 67kg. But will I be able to, say do foundation 4 while staying 67kg later?

Dude!!  There's a huge misconception that size = strength.....I've seen some big guys in the gym struggling with puny weights.  I've seen some muscle-bound bouncers/security staff that can't handle some slim young guys.

Coach Sommer has said on here that his athletes diets were crap and look at how strong they got.  Your body will naturally adapt and I would have thought keeping your weight low will be very beneficial for you, all the bodyweight exercises are made much more difficult the larger you are.  My bodyweight (Fat) oscillates from fat to fit and believe me - pullups and HeSPU's are SOOO much more difficult the heavier I get!!

Just keep following the cycling and you'll get stronger, but try and bulk up and you'll probably find yourself taking steps backwards by adding additional variables.

Harald Gimse Jr

Im on the other way around, i come from a powerlifting background, at ,172cm tall and 110kg, i squat 250kg raw, 290kg deadlift raw and 160kg bench raw, but i barely made it to step 7 in PE1's.. I need to lose atleast 20kg of weight i think

Coach Sommer

Great comment, Harald.

Was it the mobility or the PEs themselves or the rep ranges causing you difficulty?

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Harald Gimse Jr

 

42 minutes ago, Coach Sommer said:

Great comment, Harald.

Was it the mobility or the PEs themselves or the rep ranges causing you difficulty?

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

A variety of all the above i must say

My shoulder mobility is non existant, but my hip mobility is quite good, but i was unable to perform a deck squat, Even though i can squat 250.. aswell as i have almost never protracted when doing pushups before, and im not used to hollow holds so i didnt go as far as i thought in FL, MN, HBP etc.

I dont think i Will have a problem getting to 15 reps in RC and HBP,  im Just not used to the high reps, and my cardio is getting a big hit doing exercises back to back.

In fact, when thinking about it, every single thing GB throws at me are my weaknesses, and i love that. :-)

Leonhard Krahé
58 minutes ago, Harald Gimse Jr said:

In fact, when thinking about it, every single thing GB throws at me are my weaknesses, and i love that. :-)

Nicely said.