This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

DHA

Started by Florian Nagel, April 6, 2016 · 16 Replies · 447 Views

Florian Nagel

Hey Jeff.

In the last few weeks i failed a great deal to push the buttons. Partially personal reasons, partially laziness; shame on me. But i didn't fail to observe thrive for the best part of this time. Furthermore, i made a few adjustmens you would like and i'm experiencing good results.

Now a short question concerning DHA. I take these supplements, which you recommended to me. Each capsule contains 450 mg Omega 3, consisting out of 250 mg DHA and 125mg EPA. Is that enough? How much should i take everyday?

Thank you.

Jeff Serven

Being that I am a huge supplement nerd I can tell you just by the absolute amount and ratios you are consuming

best case: pure salmon oil, lower in EPA/DHA due to ancillary nutrients - D, E, etc. 

worst case: non trig form of O3. costco, vitamin shop, GNC brand.

How close to right am I? 

Note: if you say Im wrong I will delete your post. 

Florian Nagel

You're right. First i choose the fishless form. As you said, there is alternative stuff from spain and i prefer that solution. But after research i found this dose a bit small. I opened this thread to ask you for advice. I would be ready to take a pure salmon oil supplement as well, if there's no fishless alternative, which works. Therefore: How much would be enough?

Thank you Jeff.

Jeff Serven

The million dollar question. How much O3. Its tough to say. You will find the paleo crowd tries to get a 1:1 ratio which in reality is impossible. The amount of O6 is more important than the amount of 3 at step 1. There is a rate limiter, you cant consume unlimited 6 and 9s and bring the 1;1 or 1;2 ratio back with 30g of O3. It won't work. So the level 1 censored answer I will give you is reduce your 6 and 9s and the ratio will improve. I will go into specifics on sups in level 2. 

Florian Nagel

Alright, clear. Would you give me a few general tips to reduce these 6s and 9s?

Mike Bracher

The DHA information in the video/transcript was really helpful - I also followed up a little on some of the sources at the bottom and found some very useful info my fiance has MS, and understanding a little about the link between DHA and Myelination has been good, as I do most of our cooking.

Mike Bracher

Thanks, looks interesting!

Fabio Pinna

The Talent Code is a very, very good book.

Florian Nagel

i've read that already. yes, interesting lecture.

Douglas Wadle

I wanted to pass along a study regarding DHA. This is an animal study, so it comes with all the associated caveats, but it suggests that DHA can reverse the cellular and genetic damage from fructose containing foods. Fascinating stuff. http://www.ebiomedicine.com/article/S2352-3964(16)30143-8/pdf

 

Jeff Serven

Im about 1/2 way through it. Good stuff so far. Post later.

Florian Nagel

Jeff: To clarify my introduction post, because you said "just by the absolute amount and ratios you are consuming". The "450 mg Omega 3, consisting out of 250 mg DHA and 125mg EPA" are not the amount and ratio i am consuming, but the amount per small capsule. My question was, how many capsules i should take per day. I thought of 2-3.

Douglas: Thank you. I will read that soon.

 

Jeff Serven

Yea, your right. I side stepped the question. I have to do that because this is one of my main topics in Supplements of Thrive 2. There is so much to go over here. Sorry to basically not answer your question but I have had to add about 30% of new material to level 2 because I keep giving it all away here in the forum.

Ryan Bailey
14 hours ago, Jeff Serven said:

I have had to add about 30% of new material to level 2 because I keep giving it all away here in the forum.

I have noticed this from time to time Jeff. Don't worry, feel free to keep sharing some of the Thrive 2 info with us. We won't implement any of it or anything. You can trust us. :lol: (Hope you can sense my sarcasm here), as step 10 seems for me, to be more of a turning point in understanding the Thrive 1 program's bigger picture goals. I keep getting motivated by your some of your posts which I think hints towards Thrive 2, and at times want to start trying out different things you have hinted towards regarding supplements ect. But I think I am starting to understand your reasons for establishing this long term base, or foundation to always have with Thrive 1. I respect that security of an established and sustainable meal plan, not just a get ripped out of your mind, then fall back to nothing plan. Still tempting to want to manipulate all the macros (from past research and trial of other popular eating styles), or get the correct DHA all dialed in, but I am starting to see why you are waiting to share more advanced information for Thrive 2.

Jeff Serven

This pretty much sums it up for me. What did you think Douglas?  

An in- creasing body of evidence indicates that neurological and psychiatric disorders have an epigenetic component (Jakovcevski and Akbarian, 2012, Tsankova et al., 2007). In particular, disruption in cell metabolism seems to be a driving force for epigenetic changes associated with cog- nitive function (Tyagi et al., 2015). The current results showing that DHA can counteract the broad transcriptomic and methylomic alter- ations induced by fructose imply that diet has the ability to regulate the susceptibility to disease by modulating the multifaceted transcrip- tional machinery.

 

Also, I don't mind the rat study when its topic is nutrigenomics. I think for it to be studied correctly you have to control all variables and its hard to do that with people. In this case of how Fructose and DHA effect gene expression it is impossible to trust the data if the subjects food intake isn't complete controlled.  Thanks for the information. 

Douglas Wadle

Perfect, Jeff.  That is a good summation.  Couldn't agree more.