This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Strength and coupled mobility not in sync

Started by Niklas Vange, April 6, 2016 · 14 Replies · 446 Views

Niklas Vange

Hi!

 

Maybe this is a naive/newbie question but ...

I wonder what I should be doing if I, at some point in my training, find myself in a situation where i easily master the strength component of a drill, but get stuck at the mobility? As I've understood it I can't move on to the next exercise but at the same time I wanna keep getting stronger while trying to master the mobility part.

Best regards

Niklas

Alessandro Mainente

maintain the strength with the mastery and fix the mobility. do not skip to the following element.

Coach Sommer

There are no short cuts.  

Far too many people agree about the absolute importance of mobility; and then do nothing concrete to remedy the situation.  If your mobility is lacking, that needs to become your primary focus.  And should take up all of your extra time and effort.

If you are truly committed to getting stronger, fix those mobility deficits!

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

Wesley Tan

Yep, Coach said it :)

If you keep getting stronger your mobility issues will actually get worse, you'll be ever more 'out of balance'.

There is a reason hindsight is very powerful, it allows people to make progress without making the mistakes of those who provide that hindsight. 

Unfortunately most of us are blind to it. We seem to learn the hard way.

Jason Guitreau

I was about to post a similar related question. So in this case would you just keep repeating the last cycle from step 7 or just repeat step 9 until deload week?

Julia Quigley
5 hours ago, Jason Guitreau said:

I was about to post a similar related question. So in this case would you just keep repeating the last cycle from step 7 or just repeat step 9 until deload week?

I think the answer is a pick your poison kind of thing. If I were in this boat, I'd probably start back at step 7 and pick something to work on with the lighter reps---either going slower, picking up the tempo, improving a certain form point, etc. and try to maintain that improvement up to mastery. 

Jason Guitreau

Thanks. I'm on deload week and went ahead and setup next week at step 7. I'm only a month into gst, but I haven't done a deload from my other training activities since January so some lower volume weeks are sounding pretty good about now.

Jon Douglas

Coach has previously stated his preference for running steps 7-9, for a number of reasons, when i asked the same question.

Mobility hard!

Leonhard Krahé
2 hours ago, Jon Douglas said:

Coach has previously stated his preference for running steps 7-9, for a number of reasons, when i asked the same question.

Mobility hard!

Would you mind pointing me to that post(s) if it's not too much trouble? I'm really interested in the insight but my search did not turn up anything.

Thanks in advance!
 

Jon Douglas

I this was in the f3 forum. I'll have a look tomorrow to post the quote as it was quite telling

Emily Record

also interested in the post about going to steps 7-9 vs staying at mastery when stuck on mobility, i was wondering the same thing this morning!

Jon Douglas

I haven't been able to find it thus far. I will at some point, but searching through  Coachs content yourself may be faster than outsourcing searches to mods :)

From memory the reasons were;

1) Putting more focus onto mobility elements (ie working at somewhat of an underload on the strength side)

2) Relieve monotony of the same workout schedule

3) Getting people more familiar with the forum search system

4) Force spending extra time on ims that are weakpoints of the athlete

:)

Emily Record

Thanks Jon. I was actually searching for that exact question when I cam across this thread. I'll keep thinking of some different key words to try some different searches. With regards to your points about mobility - don't you hit all that (and in fact often get one more set in) by staying at the mastery level, b.c you would do all the mobility work in between sets? Where as if you dropped back down you would only be doing 4 sets of mobility instead of 5? 

Leonhard Krahé

Thanks Jon!
Please don't think I'm too lazy to search the forums myself but since I don't have access to the F3 forum I couldn't have found it no matter how long I would have looked ;)

Jason Guitreau
On April 11, 2016 at 4:32 PM, Jon Douglas said:

I haven't been able to find it thus far. I will at some point, but searching through  Coachs content yourself may be faster than outsourcing searches to mods :)

From memory the reasons were;

1) Putting more focus onto mobility elements (ie working at somewhat of an underload on the strength side)

2) Relieve monotony of the same workout schedule

3) Getting people more familiar with the forum search system

4) Force spending extra time on ims that are weakpoints of the athlete

:)

I'm finding by starting back at step 7 I've been able to concentrate on getting better quality reps in the pe's.