This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Bulking Program + Foundation

Started by Sean Murphey, April 5, 2016 · 10 Replies · 530 Views

Sean Murphey

Hey all,

Come Fall I want to integrate some weight training in order to put on some more mass. 

However, i want to continue to train foundation. Here's what i was thinking:

A:

FL Progression + SLS(as a warm-up)

Squat: 5x3

Weighted Dips: 3x5

Inverted Row: 3x5

Ring Push-ups/Flys: 3x10 (or chest dominant BW variant)

sPL Progression

Tricep Extension: 3x10

B:

SL and MN Progression

Deadlift: 1x5/ Powerclean: 5x3

Press: 3x5

Rope Climb Progression

HS Pushups: 3x10 (or variant)

Curls: 3x10

 

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Dorian Brown

You might not need it. I put on about 17 lb from f1 and I'm just on Pe 1s and 2s in the past 9 months. My body fat has also gone down 1% so now I'm at 9% -10%.  The only thing I have added to my F1 schedule is the stretch series and hill sprints once a week. 

Mark Collins
I think if you want to add some weights I would only add the squats, power cleans and deadlifts.
 
You could do the three days a week foundation and each of the weighted lifts once a week.
 
So it could look like this:
 
Mon- F4, Power cleans 3-5x5
Wed- F3, Squats 3-5x5
Fri- F4, DL 3-5x5
 
Weighted dips are not needed when you are doing HBP progressions. HSPU are also in HBP. Weighted presses are also not needed if you can do HSPU. Tricep extensions are pretty pointless unless you are a bodybuilder. 
 
Curls are not needed if you are doing RC progressions.
 
If you are doing Foundation with the right nutrition you will gain muscle. You need to make sure you are eating enough quality food to grow.
 

 

 
Sean Murphey

The reason I added Weighted Dips and Press was that you can't progressively overload HBP progressions or HsPu.

Also wanted a horizontal pull (inverted row) as that is only at the beginning of Foundation. 

wouldn't say i'm interested in bodybuilding, but aesthetics is definitely part of why i want to bulk up again. That, and i miss heavy lifting. 

Thanks

Coach Sommer
1 hour ago, Sean Murphey said:

The reason I added Weighted Dips and Press was that you can't progressively overload HBP progressions or HsPu.

 

Not quite accurate; however as you are not yet able to do either HBP or HSPU this is really inconsequential at the moment, isn't it?

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Mark Collins

What level of HBP are you currently performing? I am finding the further I go in HBP the progressions are infinetly harder. I am also finding the iMs in the sPl really tough on the chest, shoulders and triceps. I have also found that the backward roll progressions in tumbling one have developed my explosive strength in overhead pressing. 

All of these exercises has transferred well to all the overhead work in Crossfit. So when I do variations if jerks, thrusters and OHS my shoulders feel great.

For the horizontal row you can keep this in your warm ups. The further you get into RC you will come across exercises like the pullover which requires alot of horizontal pulling strength. Also the front lever series involves alot of horizontal pulling strength. These exercises will far outweigh weighted rows.

If you really miss heavy lifting you cannot beat the olympic lifts. The olympic lifts combined with Foundation is awesome. You just need to build your body so you don't get injured. 

Sean Murphey

Currently working freestanding PE16. 

I like your minimalist recommendation of just squat, dead, and power clean. That's what I initially thought of doing, but felt that i may get stuck on an anterior upper-body GB progression (HBP/sPL) that only biases a partial range of motion and felt that keeping dips and press (full ROM movements) in the mix would solve that problem.

What do you think?

Thanks

Mark Collins

Since you are doing PE16 I would recommend keeping in the PPP and a dip variation. You can then build some volume in these exercises. I would rather do 1-2 sets of 20-30 PPP and a dip variation than weighted dips. That way you are training the multiple planes of pressing rather until you get to the HBP. You also get some good connective tissue adaptations with the higher reps

Make sure you keep up the mobility and you won't get the imbalances.

Sean Murphey

Thanks Mark!

20-30 reps of PPPs and Dips sounds brutal, but probably better suited to my long-term goals.

Definitely going to give that a shot in Autumn.

Any programming recommendations?

Sean Murphey

And do you think higher volume of a row or pull-up would be valuable?

currently on week 1 RC/pe19

Mark Collins

One thing I have learnt from Coach, 20-30 reps is not high. You can always do some high rep ring rows. As long as it doesn't halt your Foundation progress.

I would trial the 3 day week program that I mentioned earlier. Add a day or two handstand and the stretch series. Then reasses after 4 weeks and change if needed.