This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Discomfort with WP wrist position

Started by Guido Franchetti, April 4, 2016 · 4 Replies · 147 Views

Guido Franchetti

It has been now several weeks that I work on the PE1. I find it harder to fully straighten my left arm. In the beginning I found it hard even to just rotate forwards the left elbow pit. That has improved much. Still it seems that I need more effort to keep the left arm straight, and at rest the left elbow pit is less rotated than the right one. The right wrist is also more mobile: I can manage more wrist bend on the right (around 90 degrees between palm and forearm feels fine) than on the left (around 5 degrees less I think).

The wrist position in this element, and in stretch 2, feels fine in my right wrist, but it is uncomfortable for my left one, which feels sore, especially towards the thumb side of the hand. The soreness disappears shortly after I stop doing the stretch/exercise.

I can perform the mastery number of reps, only my left arm is not always completely locked, and the left wrist angle is less than the right one (so to have proper contact with the wall I need to keep my left arm slightly towards the right). I am wondering if I should stay with PE 1 until I resolved the imbalance, add supplementary work for the left side, or start working on PE2/PE3 hoping to get a quicker adaptation of the left wrist.

Last thing: several years ago I had a left wrist fracture. I do not remember exactly what I fractured and it never bothered me so I am inclined to think it is not related to the problem, but if you think it could I can check what exactly happened.

Guido Franchetti

Bump! Anyone has any advice on this?

Mark Goedeke

I'm no expert on any of this stuff so all I can do is relate my own experience. When I first started my wrist stretches, the one with the back of the wrist to the ground really hurt. Now it's fine.

It also seems normal for one side to be worse than the others, particularly at the site of an old injury. When I do a particular ankle stretch in the FS course I feel nothing in my right ankle and it's really intense in the left ankle. I was wondering why and then I remembered that I severely sprained my left ankle about 3 years ago.

I find that these courses ruthlessly sniff out weaknesses, which get corrected over time as you stick to the program.

Coach Sommer

The weaker limb or joint always dictates the intensity of the training.  

You have not achieved mastery on the left wrist.  Ease up in terms of both intensity and R.O.M. and give the left wrist more time to adapt.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Guido Franchetti

Thank you coach, I will stay on this PE until the left wrist has adapted then.