This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Is it ok to do the middle splits stretch series twice a week?

Started by Gavin Barrett, April 2, 2016 · 12 Replies · 505 Views

Gavin Barrett

In the front splits series, Coach says not to do it twice a week, but he doesn't mention the same for in the middle split series. Middle splits are a a real weakness of mine and I feel great after doing it. Is it ok to do it more than once a week??

Samin Ishtiaq

Hi Gavin,

Just bought the series, and trying to get an idea of frequency, etc. Where does Coach say this? Can you link to the url?

Samin

Maksis Riley

Once a week is the recommendation for all of them. At the early stages of development less really can be more so I would say to see how you respond to the once a week template; these sessions should be quite hard work and your body will want the extra recovery time.

 

If you really want more then just be sure to do some gentle stretching daily (known to most as limbering).

 

This is what I, and I believe most, do and it's very effective.

 

Max

Luzian Scherrer

The exact quote in the front split series is: "This particular protocol for hamstrings should be done once a week. Unnecessary to do it more than once a week. Know you won't get twice as good if you do it twice a per week, you'll actually make half the progress because you'll be too sore."

After following it for more than a year I can recite all three series word by word ;)

Devin McKenna
On April 4, 2016 at 1:42 AM, Luzian Scherrer said:

The exact quote in the front split series is: "This particular protocol for hamstrings should be done once a week. Unnecessary to do it more than once a week. Know you won't get twice as good if you do it twice a per week, you'll actually make half the progress because you'll be too sore."

After following it for more than a year I can recite all three series word by word ;)

How much progress have you made in the last year

Koenraad Van Leemput

I can't speak for Luzian, but in the last year I went from a pike where I could just touch the floor to hands flat on the floor with a bit of a bend in the elbow.  I am happy with this progress, although I always want everything to progress faster ;-).  Consistently following the system works as advertised.

Josh Doyle

Hi Gavin,

In the last 10 months I have found great progress from performing all stretch series once a week. From my experience performing all stretch series once a week whilst complemeting the foundation and Handstand series into my training program has been enough to see the greatest gains for me. I just had to be patient and consistent with my training.

Jon Douglas

Once a week is plenty for me.

Luzian Scherrer
On 6 June 2016 at 0:49 AM, Devin McKenna said:

How much progress have you made in the last year

  • Pancake went from not being able to bend forward at all to comfortably having elbows on the ground. Pancake rollthroughs went from not being able to perform a single one to easily being able to do 10 reps.
  • Standing pike went from fists on the ground to hands flats on the ground with some "room" left to really press against the floor. Sitting pike went from holding the foot to being able to fully clasp the fingers below the foot.
  • Bridge went from not being able to perform the 1 min bridge hold, 10 pushups, 10 hip-taps to being able to perform all of those.

Unfortunately I'm currently not able to stretch or train due to a serious medical issue and consequently four times surgery. Luckily though, it all went very well and I will be back to training and a normal life in about a month or two... really looking forward to that!

Duncan Angus
On 6/14/2016 at 11:25 AM, Luzian Scherrer said:
  • Pancake went from not being able to bend forward at all to comfortably having elbows on the ground. Pancake rollthroughs went from not being able to perform a single one to easily being able to do 10 reps.

This put a smile on my face.  I did the MS series for the first time last night, and was laughably confused by the pancake good mornings as I sat bolt upright with absolutely no ability to fold forward at all!  Ditto the pancake rolls throughs, which pretty much involved me trying to push myself up to standing in the middle of each rep.  Graceful it was not.

Best of luck with the recovery and getting back to training.

Josh Doyle
11 hours ago, Duncan Angus said:

This put a smile on my face.  I did the MS series for the first time last night, and was laughably confused by the pancake good mornings as I sat bolt upright with absolutely no ability to fold forward at all!  Ditto the pancake rolls throughs, which pretty much involved me trying to push myself up to standing in the middle of each rep.  Graceful it was not.

Best of luck with the recovery and getting back to training.

Duncan I was the same when I started, a good way I found to help understand and increase the movement over time is elevating your backside onto a higher surface (i.e. a stair step or a couple of pillows). So your feet remain on the floor and backside is raise above your feet level. Keep the legs locked and try to rotate the feet externally (outwards not inwards) when bending forward. This helped me dramatically when starting out with pancake good mornings. It isn’t cheating as such just another progression movement. Over time reduce the height you backside is raise on as your flexibility increases. I have found this method has help me to progress.

Duncan Angus
12 hours ago, Josh Doyle said:

Duncan I was the same when I started, a good way I found to help understand and increase the movement over time is elevating your backside onto a higher surface (i.e. a stair step or a couple of pillows). So your feet remain on the floor and backside is raise above your feet level. Keep the legs locked and try to rotate the feet externally (outwards not inwards) when bending forward. This helped me dramatically when starting out with pancake good mornings. It isn’t cheating as such just another progression movement. Over time reduce the height you backside is raise on as your flexibility increases. I have found this method has help me to progress.

I don't know why on earth I didn't think of this.  It's what I would do in a yoga class if I had real trouble in a certain position due to limited movement.  For some reason because there wasn't a teacher telling me to do it, it didn't even cross my mind.  Thanks Josh.  Thankfully my yoga blocks are already in the post to me, so next time I'll get it!

Samin Ishtiaq
14 hours ago, Josh Doyle said:

Duncan I was the same when I started, a good way I found to help understand and increase the movement over time is elevating your backside onto a higher surface (i.e. a stair step or a couple of pillows). So your feet remain on the floor and backside is raise above your feet level. Keep the legs locked and try to rotate the feet externally (outwards not inwards) when bending forward. This helped me dramatically when starting out with pancake good mornings. It isn’t cheating as such just another progression movement. Over time reduce the height you backside is raise on as your flexibility increases. I have found this method has help me to progress.

 

Worth going to the seminars to find out information like this :-)