This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What's up with the hing row?

Started by Matthew Lipscomb, April 2, 2016 · 22 Replies · 719 Views

Matthew Lipscomb

I blasted through another day of foundations 1 last night and feel very sore but ultimately great this morning! However, I realized I missed an exercise last night, the hinge row. Thought to myself, no problem I'll just bang that out today. Not so fast

Problem 1. I can't seem to find the video that explains how to do it. I found the one here  https://my.gymnasticbodies.com/rc-pe1/  that shows you how with no audio, but while doing the actual work out there's a section where an instructor walks your though it. How do I get back to this ? When I go to my dashboard to boot up yesterday's workout it's gone, and I can't seem to find it any other way.

Problem 2. I don't think I can even do one of these, which is weird because I'm certainly not weak in my arms. I've found several videos on youtube but they don't seem to look the same as the videos here. 

 

Anyway, any help with this would be great appreciated. 

 

Thanks!

Sean Wood

The course video is the gold standard for form, any other I don't think would be relevant in terms of mastery. If your struggling with the element the best thing to do is post a video of you doing it. Then the Coaches can help with form or any suggestions that may be necessary, at least that's what I did. In addition when your video yourself and compare to the course material you may see your issues right away, again as I did as well. Your not alone with this one, it tends to stumble most at first. Best of luck... 

Jesse Kim

What confuses me about this PE is that it's way more difficult than a regular body weight row. I wonder why it was listed as the first exercise for rope climbs. I mean, it's supposed to help with those having issues on their rotator cuffs and hip hinging, but still, was it a dare that made coach Sommer add it?! LOL X0

Sean Wood

You may thank him when your "rotators" reach RCPE 5 ;) 

no dare, he's just a bloodhound when it comes to finding people's weaknesses. There is nothing he enjoys more. It's what blood is to vampires, he feeds and lives off it. Watch any of the follow along vids he's in and how happy he is. 

Cory Fair

Hi Matthew,

The dashboard will display today's workout. If you want to go back and redo a missed one you can go to the Progress tab and click the pencil icon to go through it again.

Coach Sommer
15 hours ago, Sean Wood said:

You may thank him when your "rotators" reach RCPE 5 ;) 

no dare, he's just a bloodhound when it comes to finding people's weaknesses. There is nothing he enjoys more. It's what blood is to vampires, he feeds and lives off it. Watch any of the follow along vids he's in and how happy he is. 

Sean knows me very well!

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jason Berger
16 hours ago, Sean Wood said:

You may thank him when your "rotators" reach RCPE 5 ;) 

no dare, he's just a bloodhound when it comes to finding people's weaknesses. There is nothing he enjoys more. It's what blood is to vampires, he feeds and lives off it. Watch any of the follow along vids he's in and how happy he is. 

I thought the same thing. And I guess it's still true, but now that my body is doing the hinge rows properly I feel like someone gave me an entirely different torso. One with a lot of pulling strength. I understand why it's a foundation movement.

Vytautas Pilkauskas

If I were to choose a single pulling exercise from F1 to do it for the rest of my life, that would definitely be hinge rows. 

From my experience, rotator cuff benefits tremendously from doing a set of 15 in every morning. 

Sean Wood

i think this is the most positive crowd I've read rally around this element, keep it up guys, those of us who suffer need you....badly.  

Oh and just FYI,  Having a bud stand beside you chanting " the power of Christ compels you!" While sprinkling you with Holy water doesn't help get past this movement any quicker. At least that's what I found....Coach truely is pure evil. 

Coach Sommer

In my experience the holy water won't help, but having me standing there offering 'encouragement' seems to work more often than not.  ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Sean Wood

 

9 minutes ago, Coach Sommer said:

In my experience the holy water won't help, but having me standing there offering 'encouragement' seems to work more often than not.  ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I've heard of this option. I think that's the GB PRO PAIN + package. I'm not sure I'm brave enough....:lol: 

Coach Sommer

I prefer to think of it as providing the opportunity to pursue personal excellence.  :icon_twisted:

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Kevin Jacobson

I'm a new member starting week 2 of Foundation 1 - and also getting kicked around by RingsPE1.  I'm trying to get my arms around the exercise til I can complete it properly and advance through the program.  

I'm 225 @ 5'9" with a weightlifting background primarily.   Found GST accidentally while was looking for other mobility techniques.  I suspect my bodyweight is a bit reason for my difficulties in this exercise, but wanted some feedback from others more in the know ( or does everybody just get hung up on this exercise for a while ).

I've been modifying this exercise by keeping with my butt on the ground and going through the hinged motion as well as possible -- and doing a ring reverse plank hold for 12 seconds after each set to strengthen grip and core rest position in this exercise.  ( Is this useful or any other suggestions I'd be happy to try - Any other specific areas I should be looking to as causing my challenges )

Also - where should I be feeling the work/contraction in this exercise - if anywhere.  Is there active contraction that I should be moving through my biceps / shoulders / or lats - or is it purely a hinge movement that I shouldn't be having to pull myself anywhere with upper arms / shoulders..?

.Respectfully, Please don't ask me to post a video - as I don't upload any photos / videos on the internet.

Thanks

Eva Pelegrin
4 hours ago, Sean Wood said:

I've heard of this option. I think that's the GB PRO PAIN + package. I'm not sure I'm brave enough....:lol: 

Are you kidding Sean?? 
I'm dying to meet Coach on the training floor, where the rubber meets the road. I think that place is called hell. No matter how much suffering is involved, I want it. Not because I like pain. It's about growth. We'll all be in the same hell and everyone can fight their own demons.

I agree you have to have a sense of humor about yourself. I have this not so heroic vision of myself dying like a cockroach with my legs up in the middle of a set… But if I'm doing the best I can, I'm happy alright, no mater what the outcome. It really is that simple for me. 

Jesse Kim

I can use some holy water right now....

Keilani Gutierrez
10 minutes ago, Jesse Kim said:

I can use some holy water right now....

en el nombre del padre, el hijo y espiritu santo, amen. (dips fingers in holy water and sprinkles it on your lifeless body) 

better? :D 

Keilani Gutierrez
26 minutes ago, Eva Pelegrin said:

Are you kidding Sean?? 
I'm dying to meet Coach on the training floor, where the rubber meets the road. I think that place is called hell. No matter how much suffering is involved, I want it. Not because I like pain. It's about growth. We'll all be in the same hell and everyone can fight their own demons.

I agree you have to have a sense of humor about yourself. I have this not so heroic vision of myself dying like a cockroach with my legs up in the middle of a set… But if I'm doing the best I can, I'm happy alright, no mater what the outcome. It really is that simple for me. 

report back on the experience. :) Coach gave me a helping hand with one of the calve stretches in the Fs series. my goodness. also, he's very enthusiastic of you working at the point where you are working hard, but the quality of your performance remains proper and to test this, he'll shove you over the cliffs edge.

.....I can't wait to go back :D 

Julia Quigley
4 hours ago, Kevin Jacobson said:

I'm a new member starting week 2 of Foundation 1 - and also getting kicked around by RingsPE1.  I'm trying to get my arms around the exercise til I can complete it properly and advance through the program.  

I'm 225 @ 5'9" with a weightlifting background primarily.   Found GST accidentally while was looking for other mobility techniques.  I suspect my bodyweight is a bit reason for my difficulties in this exercise, but wanted some feedback from others more in the know ( or does everybody just get hung up on this exercise for a while ).

I've been modifying this exercise by keeping with my butt on the ground and going through the hinged motion as well as possible -- and doing a ring reverse plank hold for 12 seconds after each set to strengthen grip and core rest position in this exercise.  ( Is this useful or any other suggestions I'd be happy to try - Any other specific areas I should be looking to as causing my challenges )

Also - where should I be feeling the work/contraction in this exercise - if anywhere.  Is there active contraction that I should be moving through my biceps / shoulders / or lats - or is it purely a hinge movement that I shouldn't be having to pull myself anywhere with upper arms / shoulders..?

.Respectfully, Please don't ask me to post a video - as I don't upload any photos / videos on the internet.

Thanks

First of all, welcome!! This is a lot to wrap your arms around at first, and yes, in my brief history with this program, people struggle with hinge rows. 

I can't speak to muscle groups/coaching, but I think it will help you tremendously to view others' form checks and search the forums for content on hinge rows.

Not posting videos/photos will be challenge, because many people have breakthroughs when coaches critique their form online. How about a photo of your ring set up? Or could you post some picture with a smiley face over your head for anonymity?

barring these ideas, you're going to need video yourself and be insanely critical. You would also benefit from a friend with an eye for form comparing you against course videos and/or occasionally going hiring a gymnastics trainer to review your form on current exercises.

Best st of luck with the program! The community here is very helpful, informative, tough, and sometimes fun :)

Sean Wood

Kevin, I second Julia's response, and welcome. I know you said you would not post vids but you may hear from many here that your ability to perform the necessary skills will take a giant leap if you allow GB coaches to assist you in this way. There are privacy apps that are simple to use to blur your face. I can relate I had the same concerns but I have nothing to regret today. Possibly if you PM one of the coaches you could ask if they would be wiling to assist you behind the scenes a bit till your comfortable? Again though this will require vids but you could privately share them.  Till then take the advice Julia gave to video yourself first to see if you can point out easy corrections while comparing to the course material. Foundations will have a profound impact on your physical abilities if you give it a chance. Consider not letting your feelings of videos get in your way. Just a friendly suggestion, good luck.

Sean Wood
7 hours ago, Eva Pelegrin said:

Are you kidding Sean?? 
I'm dying to meet Coach on the training floor, where the rubber meets the road. I think that place is called hell. No matter how much suffering is involved, I want it. Not because I like pain. It's about growth. We'll all be in the same hell and everyone can fight their own demons.

I agree you have to have a sense of humor about yourself. I have this not so heroic vision of myself dying like a cockroach with my legs up in the middle of a set… But if I'm doing the best I can, I'm happy alright, no mater what the outcome. It really is that simple for me. 

Your imagery made me chuckle, good one. You are correct I do jest a little. I share the same aspirations as you, well said...

Kevin Jacobson
4 hours ago, Julia Quigley said:

Not posting videos/photos will be challenge, because many people have breakthroughs when coaches critique their form online. How about a photo of your ring set up? Or could you post some picture with a smiley face over your head for anonymity?

barring these ideas, you're going to need video yourself and be insanely critical. You would also benefit from a friend with an eye for form comparing you against course videos and/or occasionally going hiring a gymnastics trainer to review your form on current exercises.

Best st of luck with the program! The community here is very helpful, informative, tough, and sometimes fun :)

Thanks

I've got no problem checking form - to videos critically, I do it for squats and other barbell exercises.  Just don't post em online.  Haven't yet recorded the ring exercises yet - but that's in my plans later this week or next.  I'm hoping to get some cues that I'd know I was doing the exercise with right approach as I look at my technique. This morning - I felt alot of heavy pulling from my biceps and shoulders and don't know if that is correct or not. 

Coach Sommer

If they are not posted online, you are not going to be able to receive corrections.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jesse Kim
On 4/4/2016 at 9:41 AM, Kevin Jacobson said:

I'm a new member starting week 2 of Foundation 1 - and also getting kicked around by RingsPE1.  I'm trying to get my arms around the exercise til I can complete it properly and advance through the program.  

I'm 225 @ 5'9" with a weightlifting background primarily.   Found GST accidentally while was looking for other mobility techniques.  I suspect my bodyweight is a bit reason for my difficulties in this exercise, but wanted some feedback from others more in the know ( or does everybody just get hung up on this exercise for a while ).

I've been modifying this exercise by keeping with my butt on the ground and going through the hinged motion as well as possible -- and doing a ring reverse plank hold for 12 seconds after each set to strengthen grip and core rest position in this exercise.  ( Is this useful or any other suggestions I'd be happy to try - Any other specific areas I should be looking to as causing my challenges )

Also - where should I be feeling the work/contraction in this exercise - if anywhere.  Is there active contraction that I should be moving through my biceps / shoulders / or lats - or is it purely a hinge movement that I shouldn't be having to pull myself anywhere with upper arms / shoulders..?

.Respectfully, Please don't ask me to post a video - as I don't upload any photos / videos on the internet.

Thanks

Technically, you're NOT REQUIRED to post a picture or a video. But, it is HIGHLY recommended that you do so, so that more information or advice can be given about things like form, etc. Plus, the critique you'll receive will be of a higher quality than some vague advice based on statements.