This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Healthiest way to serve Salmon

Started by Young Chan Park, April 2, 2016 · 7 Replies · 188 Views

Young Chan Park

What is the healthiest way to cook salmon?

 

I've been frying the salmon with a little bit of butter but it seems that all the oil from the salmon seeps out when I'm done cooking. This isn't what I want is it? Since I want all those Omega fatty acids.

 

I'm thinking oven is the best way but is there any other alternatives?

 

Can someone suggest a healthy salmon recipe please?

Sean Wood

Have you considered pressure cooking? Great way to cook food and one of the best to preserve nutrients and flavour. If you google for recipes most only require water and vinegar or wine plus herbs so no oil. I've been playing around with it before starting thrive and I love it for vegetables and making cheap meats taste good. Quick and easy. Could come in handy if Thrive gets into post workout meals and/if you like sweat pototaes. Perfect way to quickly cook them and preserve nutrients. Downside though is the investment of a pressure pot or if you want something with more cooking options one of those fancy electronic ones that act as a slow cooker as well. 

Jeff Serven

The healthiest way to eat it is; kill it then eat it raw. Every single method beyond that will lose something. So you are really splitting hairs. The principal to keep in mind is to expose it to heat as little as possible. DHA is heat sensitive. BBQ until medium is how I generally do it. I leave the skin on the back and put a very thin layer(thin!) of olive oil to seal it up(figuratively speaking) but, again most any way will do.  

Douglas Wadle

I do the same as Jeff.  My favorite is to put on the grill on a piece of aluminum foil.  leave skin on during cooking, very easy to remove after cooked.  drizzle with olive oil and dill, under medium heat, until the skin becomes slightly flaky.  wonderful.

Mark Schoenhard

I soak slab of cedar board overnight, place fillet on top and grill.  Nice smoked flavor.

Fabio Pinna
2 hours ago, Jeff Serven said:

The healthiest way to eat it is; kill it then eat it raw.

This is a very unhealthy way of eating salmon, as it can get you an infestation of safety zealots. Those are quite toxic! Effects include but are not limited to: increased blood pressure (from rage), tinnitus (you'll keep hearing voices and receiving messages telling you how unsafe "raw whatever" is), general inflammation of the nether regions (self explanatory), and an urge to slap people silly. If you must absolutely eat it that way, stay away from social media and especially avoid advertising your eating habits on facebook. Depending on whom you live with, you might also want to make sure there's nobody else in the kitchen when you prepare your food. Good luck!

Serious answer: I second grilling it. I have a very nice and thick ribbed cast iron skillet which lets me cook it almost as it was a real grill. Then I add one of the following, depending on mood: mixture of herbs and salt, olive oil and lemon, balsamic vinegar, rosmarine, a seasoning made of ground herbs and ground whole olives (nutless).

Basically, treat it like a steak. I also always keep the skin on it and only remove it post-cooking.

Ryan Bailey

Seriously entertaining Fabio! But seriously, I'd like to add to Jeff's first raw option, as I really think this is important. It's hard to find good sushi for cheap anywhere, and it shouldn't be cheap, but I found a way to squeeze it in here and there. A local grocery store carries fresh wild fish, salmon, tuna, halibut ect. with labels with the day caught; usually 1-3 days before purchase. Cost is usually > $15/pound. Sometimes, I will by 4 Oz for ~$4 and eat it raw for lunch "fast food", as it is officially sashimi grade. Anyone else do this to save money?

Jeff Serven

Ryan, thats a great idea!