Yesterday when I did SL/PE9, Stall Bar Reverse Leg Lift, I had many small blood vessels in my face burst, so I look all freckly now. Is there any reason for concern? Is there anything obvious I am doing wrongly?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Bursting blood vessels?
Started by Erik Rissanen, March 31, 2016 · 7 Replies · 180 Views
Are you holding your breath? If so, you shouldn't.
2 minutes ago, Gavin Strelitz said:Are you holding your breath? If so, you shouldn't.
I did not pay attention to that, so I don't know. I will keep it in mind for the next time.
Make sure not to hold your breath. And also, it may take time for you to get used to the pressure of being upside down. If it continues to be a problem, do another few weeks of SL/PE8 and finish with a few sets of an inverted position (tripod, or the beginning position of SL/PE9 etc) to better prepare yourself.
This use to happen to me with PPP and handstands. It never happens now. You will develop more capillaries and it should not be a problem.
On the positive side, my bruised face was a fun topic of conversation at work today. They were impressed of how I would push myself to break blood vessels in my face for a workout. Anyway, that is not what I am for, but it was sort of fun in contrast to telling telling them that hollow body rocks is the best thing ever.
Nothing to worry about. Simply the result of straining too hard while holding your breath.
- Don't hold your breath.
This is something that gymnasts learn at a very young age, as attempting to hold the breath while performing a ring routine simply results in collapsing onto the mat under the rings in a pile of sweat and embarrassed misery.
Strength should be generated thru muscle contraction. If you cannot breath shallowly during a static hold or inversion, you are holding your breath.
- Reduce duration and/or number of reps down past the point where you feel no strain and then gradually rebuild.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommmer
Thank you Coach and the others in the thread. Breathing solved the problem.