This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Bar Height for HBP/PE1

Started by Cameron Williams, March 31, 2016 · 5 Replies · 142 Views

Cameron Williams

Just wondering about correct bar height for HBP/PE1.

The F1 video looks like it's maybe mid-thigh height. Pro+ has it waist-height, as per the instructions on the F1 course video.

I've been using a box that comes to about mid-thigh height.... should I use something higher?

Or should I just keep it where it is so as to serve me better when I transition to PE2?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Mid thigh to waist is fine. Just know that the lower the height the harder it will be. Essentially if you keep lowering the bar you'll be doing pushups, i.e. PE2. It's not of too much importance so long as you're in that ballpark BUT ALSO that your form is spot-on. Form is most important for this, as it helps set the...."foundation" for the later pressing movements (see what I did there).

Cameron Williams

Thanks Daniel :)

Thats kind of what I figured... That if I make pe1 a little harder, that will serve me in pe2. 

I went back to pe1 after struggling with pe2 for ages and I think it has served me well. Just last night I did a few push-ups and my form felt much better than it did a couple of months ago. 

I had skipped pe1 in the very beginning, as I thought it was too easy. Once again I see the logic  of Coach's programming ^_^

 

Travis Widmann

When I came back to training after some extended time off for travel, I added an intermediate progression before floor pushups. Started at hands around waist high, then mastered a lower incline with hands at knee height. My thinking was, I sure as hell didn't want to take as long to reach mastery of floor pushups this time as it took last time. Anything to better prepare myself going in. Didn't take long at all, thankfully. Granted I had gotten there before, and I had Pro+ this time. But I will say not only did it feel easier, I can actually crank out more PPPUs with better ease now than I ever could before. I think PE3 mastery will come faster than I first expected. Though I'll find out soon enough.

Leonhard Krahé
4 hours ago, Cameron Williams said:

Thanks Daniel :)

Thats kind of what I figured... That if I make pe1 a little harder, that will serve me in pe2. 

I went back to pe1 after struggling with pe2 for ages and I think it has served me well. Just last night I did a few push-ups and my form felt much better than it did a couple of months ago. 

I had skipped pe1 in the very beginning, as I thought it was too easy. Once again I see the logic  of Coach's programming ^_^

 

Something I found very helpful in PE1 is that it teaches (and reteaches) the tension through the entire body.

Cameron Williams

Leonhard - absolutely! I noticed the same thing.

Travis, thanks for your input as well :)