This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Weight loss stalled

Started by Cameron Williams, March 30, 2016 · 14 Replies · 277 Views

Cameron Williams

I've noticed that my weight loss has stalled. I started out the program on Jan 1st and within a month or so I had lost about 6lbs, and then it pretty much stalled from then until now. I haven't changed anything and have been very consistent in implementing the program tasks. Is this just where my body will stay with this program or is further refinement needed? (ie, more precise portioning/timing, complete cutting-out of sugar/alcohol)

Don't get me wrong, I've had a great experience on the program... energy levels are up and way more steady, recovery is way quicker, and as I said, I lost some weight and am a little leaner. I'm just more curious than anything if further weight loss will require further refinement?

Julia Quigley

My understanding from various posts is that Thrive 1's focus is on building a base of healthy eating (sort of a healthy, performance-based maintenance mode) and weight loss depends a lot on what your diet was like before Thrive.

Weight loss cycles etc. are part of the forthcoming Thrive 2.  

If I haven't gotten it right, let the record be set straight!

 

 

 

Cameron Williams

That makes sense Julia :) You are probably right, that Thrive 1 is really a foundations course, and then we can build and get more specific from there. I guess I just need to be patient waiting for Thrive 2 :D

Julia Quigley

Right there with you. I'm performing rituals, praying to all the gods, and crossing my fingers Thrive 2 is available by the time I finish Thrive 1. I'm SO ready to shed a few lbs of fat :)

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

You could always up the cardio/pace of workouts and maintain/decrease the portion sizes. That's pretty much a textbook recipe for weight loss: more calories expended versus calories consumed. You say your weight loss has stalled but how is your body composition? I weigh myself but more for shits and giggles, if you see that you are gaining more muscle or becoming leaner I don't think weight loss, per se, is really relevant. By weight loss sid ou actually mean body composition and I misinterpreted you? If you means body composiion and you want to become leaner, think about incorporating more cardio or cardio aspects to your workouts (fewer to no rests, faster pace while still incontrol, third, and last, extra cardio specific exercise). I, for one, hate cardio despite having played soccer much of high school and college, but it helps the ol' ticker so either through a 5-7 minute warmup or just huffing and puffing through Foundation Pro+ work, I try to get cardio work in that way. 

Cameron Williams

Daniel - yes I really meant body composition, i.e., fat loss. I lost a good amount of fat during thrive 1, and was hoping to see that trend continue. As for the pace of F1 workouts, I've been using Pro+ as well, which definitely upped the intensity! Perhaps I need to give that more time, as I've only been doing it for a few weeks.

I think it's sound advice regarding smaller portions and adding cardio... I, like you, hate cardio, but I think you're right about that.

At the same time, I'm curious how Thrive fits into the equation. Jeff has said a few times that people on the Thrive program are walking around sustainably at sub-10% body fat. I'd be very excited to get to that level :)

Cameron Williams

And Julia - I'm excited too! Very much looking forward to Thrive 2 :)

Matic Balantic

@Cameron Williams I suggest you only change one think at the time. Don't decrease portion sizes and start doing more cardio because you won't know which thing is working for you. First thing I would do,  would be to up the cardio. And maybe instead of cardio (if you are already training a lot - and it really depends what you mean with cardio) I would try to up my daily energy expenditure. How you do this is by walking more (park a bit further, go down one stop early etc), using stairs instead of lifts ... This is a more safe way that does not interfere with your recovery and it doesn't influence your satiety levels. If you decide to give it a try, you should find something that you do daily. If you spend for example 300 kcal per day more by walking a bit more ... it  adds up.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
5 hours ago, Matic Balantic said:

@Cameron Williams I suggest you only change one think at the time. Don't decrease portion sizes and start doing more cardio because you won't know which thing is working for you. First thing I would do,  would be to up the cardio. And maybe instead of cardio (if you are already training a lot - and it really depends what you mean with cardio) I would try to up my daily energy expenditure. How you do this is by walking more (park a bit further, go down one stop early etc), using stairs instead of lifts ... This is a more safe way that does not interfere with your recovery and it doesn't influence your satiety levels. If you decide to give it a try, you should find something that you do daily. If you spend for example 300 kcal per day more by walking a bit more ... it  adds up.

This is definitely sound advice. Living in NYC, sone days I'll walk six miles on top of my foundation workout.

Cameron Williams

Ahhhh good old cardio. I think I might do a longer warmup (20 mins or so) before stretching for a few weeks and see how that goes. I think that will benefit my stretching as well.

Jeff Serven

Go back and double check you are not getting creative with your food portions. It may be a small creep but just double check. 

Sean Wood

I haven't looked at them yet myself but has anyone here tried plugging in any of the "conditioning" online classes  with Gb pro for thier dose of cardio? I too am not a big fan of traditional cardio but do so when I can as a necessity and look for different alternatives. 

Cameron Williams

Thanks Jeff - will do!

One thing to note, I just weighed myself this morning and was 187lb, which is 1-2lbs less than I've been floating at the last couple of months, so that's a positive sign.

I started the program at 194.5lb, so I'm still very happy with the results. Would love to get down to 180lb or so though :)

 

Ryan Bailey

Inspiring Cameron. Thanks for sharing your progress!

Cameron Williams

My pleasure!

Looking forward to seeing others progress as well :)