This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

T1 3.4 check pls

Started by Talal Aldoub, March 30, 2016 · 17 Replies · 329 Views

Talal Aldoub

Hi if I can hear if my set was good or not.

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

some corrections are needed:

-arms should be straight during all the movement

-hips should be more opened when the shoulders are very close to contact the ground.

Coach Sommer

Much more opening of the hips in the middle of the roll is required.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Andrew Long

what do you mean by arms should be straight during all movement?

 

Ian Gibson

In the course video the athlete has straight arms throughout the roll.  Talal is bending at the elbows before his shoulders touch the ground. 

Talal Aldoub

wow! Just notice my arm. But could you please explain what and how is my hip is closed and to open it? I reviewed the athlete many times I just don't understand that. Thanks for feedback

 

Andrew Long

ah okay thought this was 3.3 not 3.4.

Alessandro Mainente

The angle at the hips should be more opened like a hollowbodyhold  , in your version hips are piked.

Coach Sommer

'Opening' the hips means to reduce the amount of pike.  'Closing' the hips means to increase the amount of pike.

For the hips to be completely open, the crease in the front of the hips should be flat with no piking.  Note that this will be a momentary position in the middle of the roll.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Talal Aldoub

Thanks for explanation, I'll have to re-do it again and post it.

Talal Aldoub

I'm still in the gym and I won't leave till I make sure I can make it. Kindly, check link below. I believe I can open my hip more or this is fine? I did few in link.

Excuse the cheasy beats.

 

 

Coach Sommer

Isn't there supposed to be a smooth roll in the extended forward roll?  ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Talal Aldoub

Thanks coach, I got it I will re do it again.

Talal Aldoub

I know, I know but isn't there any improvement? I did takes me for this sepefic one two hours. I didn't realize my arms slightly bent is first two or three but last one I think was a bit smooth. Is there any advise how to improve and open the hips more?:wacko:

 

 

Ian Gibson

All of the rolls still have quite a bit of pike. The end of the roll should be like a hollow body rock, whereas yours is more like a bent hollow body rock. Let's compare these images below. You'll notice that, while there's about the same angle between hands and feet, your bend occurs primarily at the hips, while the other athlete's occurs mainly in the thoracic spine. 

I haven't reached this point so I don't have any tips for you, I just like looking at things. It may be helpful to know your current level in the FL and T1/2.x (shoulder roll development) progressions. 

Screenshot_2016-04-12-15-29-37.png

Screenshot_2016-04-12-15-33-07.png

Andrew Long

could be you are putting your hands too close to the body at the start or not kicking your legs high enough.  imagine you are almost going into a handstand?

Talal Aldoub

Ian you are so right, after stopping GST for a whole year due to injury (not from GST) I decided to start from the beginning, so I'm still at FL/PE 2 guess I'll keep trying till I reach FL/5 :blink:

but Thanks for the breakdown it made sense, will keep trying what Andrew says with joy! 

Kai Ewert

You may also want to go back in the progression and see if those rolls are nice and smooth. I had to swallow some humble pie and stay with the assisted fw roll because I had a lot of trouble getting that smooth all the time. 

Look at your bellybutton is a good cue for that and also as mentioned above remembering the hollow body holds/rocks to keep the torso shape throughout the movement.