This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

2 Pike 2 Squat

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, March 30, 2016 · 3 Replies · 302 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

In this exercise I cannot squat all the way down "ass to grass" and have my heels on the floor. Should I keep my heels on the floor throughout and forcefully push down (as one of the focus points notes) and only go as deep as I can with legs together and feet flat on the floor? Or should I go as deep as I can allowing the heels to come up off the floor, but then trying to forcefully push them down from this extended ROM?

 

In the first case I can barely/just about hit parallel but I'm leaning forward quite a lot (I'm already well aware that this is achilles stiffness and am limbering it daily as a result). In the second case I get the rypical noisiness in the knee joint that is said to be okay if pain-free, but has been noted anecdotally as often starting as pain-free noise and leading to something worse. My gut tells me to perform the squats in this exercise in the first manner, which is to say with much more limited ROM (and to pray to the squat gods that one day they will grant me sufficient achilles flexibility to hit deeper ROM), than forcing the se ond alternative which is concerningly louder and potentially not proper technique. Thanks.

Alessandro Mainente

I have the same problem, i use to lift heel when necessary and during ascent try to push them into floor as soon as possible.

Coach Sommer

Focus on reduced ROM squats while you address the soleus mobility issue separately.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ashe Higgs
On 3/30/2016 at 9:05 AM, Coach Sommer said:

Focus on reduced ROM squats while you address the soleus mobility issue separately.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

hey coach, would you recommend a light counter weight, like a small kettlebell?  With a counterweight, I can squat all the way down with heels down in two squat, two pike.