This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

After Dinner Food

Started by Sam Andersen, March 30, 2016 · 9 Replies · 294 Views

Sam Andersen

What is a good snack to have in the evening time?  I know there was mentioned fruit as a good afternoon snack.  Does that hold true for the evening?  The last couple of nights I put together a bowl that consisted of 1 banana, 1 handful oats (gluten free), 1 handful organic raisins (nothing added, it just says raisins in the ingredients), a teaspoon (approximately) of raw honey, and then milk.  Maybe this is completely wrong to be eating.  

I have looked at my meals the rest of the day and I think I am getting enough food.  With the exception of post workout.  Sometimes there is a hour or two before dinner.  I don't feel like really hungry but this is the only area that I feel may be contributing to my need for food in the evening.

My food for today was 5 eggs scrambled and 1/4 cup of full fat greek yogurt.  Lunch consisted of a spinach salad with olive oil (two handfuls of spinach) and 2 peppers, a hand sized portion of grilled chicken and at least 2 cupped handful portion of roasted red potatoes. Dinner was 2 fillets of Tilapia (broiled in the oven with butter and organic coconut oil and seasoned with creole seasoning) 3 cupped handful portion of butternut squash risotto, and probably 2 fist portion of broccoli.  Topped off with a tall glass of whole milk.  I drank 2+ liters of water.

Jeff Serven

Sam,

What if you put those higher glycemic fruits after the workout and made dinner your last meal of the day? 

Sam Andersen

Jeff, thanks for the suggestion!  I will try this out.

Julia Quigley

On this note, Jeff, is Thrive 1 going to address post workout nutrition? Or is that information classified? :)

Costas Karakatsanis

Jeff,

I always workout in the morning. Can I have high glycemic fruits, or starches after the workout?

Thanks

Jeff Serven

Julia, classified.

Costas, if training warrants it. Otherwise no. 

Costas Karakatsanis

Thanks Jeff,

Would a GST full F7 workout warrant carbs in the morning? or should I wait until the AM is over?

 

Julia Quigley

Here you go, straight from the horse's mouth. 

On 2/22/2016 at 10:40 AM, Jeff Serven said:

I just don't like to add carbs in the AM for any reason even if it is a workout.

I'm betting that your muscles store enough glycogen from dinner last night to fuel your AM workout, but Jeff may have more to say on the matter. 

Jeff Serven

Costas, its hard to say. For some F7 is difficult and for others like Allen its barley a warmup so it really depends on your response to it. Perceived exertion and effort for lack of a better term. I generally do not like carbs in the AM even if its for training. However, an 800m sprinter training at 8am would probably need carbs before lunch. GST maybe not. Try it without and tell me what your findings are. 

Costas Karakatsanis

Thanks Jeff,

Very clear. I will go without carbs until lunch (even though I am Greek and lunch is at or after 2 pm usually) and will keep you posted.