This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Snap, crackle, pop

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, March 29, 2016 · 12 Replies · 297 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

So in revisiting previous >ims and shoring up any deficiencies to make me better for later PE's, my shoulder does the whole snap, crackle, pop when twisting down in MN/PE1>im. Should I: not go as low in >im, even though hip mobility is not problematic (and since I was on PE2 previously, it's pretty good)?; or go as low but not twist my shoulder as much?; or something else? 

 

I'm all about taking the time necessary to shore this up. I can post a form check video in a subsequent post if that would help. My form is not atrocious, however my shoulder ROM is. I know that and am working on it. All advice is welcome. Cheers.

Keilani Gutierrez

what iM are you refering to, Dan? Xiaopengs?

Edit: nvm! xD just saw the tags.

I've tried using a weight heavy enough to feel myself pushing it up. as im lowering on the hamstring stretch. i have to fight my left shoulder to get this right. much much easier on my right side. you could give this a try. I started doing this iM with 6lb dumbbell, currently use 10 and every so often play with 20lb.

 

Jared Lybbert

MN/PE1, took me a little while to find it too. Because this movement requires a lot from many different parts of the body it might not be immediately easy to pick apart weak spots. If your hips are alright than look a little higher to your torso, can it turn completely as needed? while sitting can you square your shoulders at a 90 degree angle?

Look at my amazing picture to see what I mean,and how it relates to the shoulder. As always with anything I say, I could be FOS, but it makes sense to me, and may be of help to you..

Untitled.png

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
8 hours ago, Keilani Gutierrez said:

what iM are you refering to, Dan? Xiaopengs?

Edit: nvm! xD just saw the tags.

I've tried using a weight heavy enough to feel myself pushing it up. as im lowering on the hamstring stretch. i have to fight my left shoulder to get this right. much much easier on my right side. you could give this a try. I started doing this iM with 6lb dumbbell, currently use 10 and every so often play with 20lb.

 

I'm currently using 10lb, and was going heavier before when I only sid PE1 as awarmup

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
6 hours ago, Jared Lybbert said:

MN/PE1, took me a little while to find it too. Because this movement requires a lot from many different parts of the body it might not be immediately easy to pick apart weak spots. If your hips are alright than look a little higher to your torso, can it turn completely as needed? while sitting can you square your shoulders at a 90 degree angle?

Look at my amazing picture to see what I mean,and how it relates to the shoulder. As always with anything I say, I could be FOS, but it makes sense to me, and may be of help to you..

Untitled.png

This actually had been my issue. Thoracic extension and thus torso rotation is lagging, but I wasn't sure to what extent that may impact my form. I can get the extended overhead arm straight above me, however, it'd be safe to say that proper/complete rotation is lacking. Now....to figure out how best to address this. 

Keilani Gutierrez

sounds like laying seige to the obliques (letting SL do its work) and i'd take a shot also including quad stretching in the mix. I've wondered how much does psoas contributes to rotating. having more open hips helps the hip not dip to a side while rotating, this much i know (noticed this in SL pe2, after a while it got even harder to do them in my warm up. compared videos and noticed the hip angle change.) 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
1 hour ago, Keilani Gutierrez said:

sounds like laying seige to the obliques (letting SL do its work) and i'd take a shot also including quad stretching in the mix. I've wondered how much does psoas contributes to rotating. having more open hips helps the hip not dip to a side while rotating, this much i know (noticed this in SL pe2, after a while it got even harder to do them in my warm up. compared videos and noticed the hip angle change.) 

I'm revisiting all the PE1's and am being sure to limber up daily. So hopefully this issue will resolve itself. Thanks for those insights. I've noticed a little but of that when doing SL/PE2

Ryan Bailey

I find too light of a weight does not help the windmill bottom range, thoracic rotation, and RTC activation.

Mikkel Ravn

I lead a small GST group once a week, and notice that when using too light a weight people's arms are all over the place, and are certainly not vertical. A substantial weight helps sorting out the form, by enforcing precision. 

On a side note, you can safely build up to using a 32 KG kettlebell (probably more) on this drill, so there's plenty of potential gains to be made.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Ahhh okay. I had worked up to about 20lbs but had dialed it back to 10lbs thinking that that might help with the noisiness. I'll consider weight as a factor to ensure proper form.

Ryan Bailey

I know you know to stop the range before pain though Daniel, the increased weight wont take away shoulder pain :) 

By the way, I am using 25 pounds for this and I did step 9 today of MN PE1. I wonder what other people are using for weight on this.

Ravn- have you built up to 32 kg?

Mikkel Ravn

I did it regularly with 24 kg, and would do it with 32 every once in a while. 

However, I probably progressed a bit too quickly, because this drill in conjunction with all the other pike stretches caused a bit of aggravation on the hamstring tendons behind the knee, so I had to scale back. Never had any shoulder issues with these, though.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

[Finally gets around to converting kilograms into pounds]...Holy shit 

 

At most I had used 20lbs or 9kg. Gonna see if going a little heavier helps.