Progression in planche....

Started by Timy7, October 30, 2009 · 9 Replies · 3,464 Views

Timy7

Alright so I have been doing planches and levers for some time. Most of my training revolves around gymnastics.

I have been stuck on a flat tuck planche on plets for quite some time.

I can hold it for multiple sets of 20-25 secs each set with minimal fatigue. Also my hips arent rounded, and they are straight in line with my shoulders and both are perfectly parallel to the floor.

However when trying to straddle, I just fail. I cant for the life of me extend my legs out. I know I am strong enough, as I can hold a full front and back lever on rings, iron cross solidified, slow muscle ups for reps, etc.

Anyone have any ideas why I am so strong at the flat tuck planche, but cant even manage a second in the straddle?

Thanks for your time.

Richard Duelley

Do you have the BtGB book? If so carefully reread the straddle planche description on page 52-53, then read it 3 more times. 8) Coach states to SLOWELY bring your legs backward off your chest into the straddle. Each workout try to EITHER (not both!) extend further back or increase your hold time. I am at the same point as you. Dont expect to just extend to a full straddle planche your first try. Just try to extent as far back as you can and still hold it for 5 or so seconds. You will slowly be able to extent more and more as you work on it. :mrgreen:

braindx

Gotta learn forward more dude.

I think PPPUs with feet elevated to shoulder height would be a good idea just to be able to correctly find the shoulder position.

Message me if you wanna discuss this further.

Timy7

Thanks guys, nifty I do have the book lol guess Ill reread that section one more time ;)

Steven-Always appreciate your help man, Ill catch you on google chat soon.

Longshanks

I arent nearly that far in the prgressions but would I be right in saying you just pick a point of extension (say thighs perpensicular to the floor and shins paralell to the floor- half way to straight)and hold that SS cycle for 8weeks? Im doing that with just one leg with my levers at the moment with 1 knee at 90degrees and thigh perpendicular to the floor. Surley you can just pick a set angle towards full extension between tuck and straight with 1-leg first then 2 and do an 8week cycles with each one? Just my tupence worth.

DanPlanche

Try holding a full planche against a door or wall with your legs. You should feel something in your lower back and shoulders. Try and hold this for as long as possible.

And push yopurself when learning planches, its not something that is going to come with lazy training.

Gregor

As braindx said, go further ahead with shoulders. This will increase stress on your hands, arms and shoulders.

Nic Scheelings

A further tip for you. When trying to make the transition i've found it is best to attack it from many different angles. Try lowering from handstand into a straddle planche (at least a slow negative), try to pull in to straddle planche from straddle L-sit ect..

Timy7

Thanks guys, and danplanche how do you know how my training is!? I have gotten multiple one arm chins with either arm, iron cross, full front and back levers, mutliple flat tuck planche pushups with ease, full ROM glute ham raises. I train very diligently, I am not lazy in anything thanks.

Thank you others for all the great ideas, already working more PPPU with feet at shoulder level, and I definitely needed to lean forward more.

DanPlanche

I didn't say you were. Just saying that you really need to push with planche training.