This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RC-PE2 – form check

Started by Eva Pelegrin, March 26, 2016 · 8 Replies · 262 Views

Eva Pelegrin

I kept my grip neutral as for Elevated Row. Hope it’s ok. My angle is less than 45º but can adjust it. Didn't want to make it too easy… How’s form?

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

The form of that set looks okay.. Look back at the course video for any form cues that you may have overlooked.

Alessandro Mainente

Look carefully to the course video, grip should explore all the prone to supine range of motion. you start from proneand rech the top position with supine grip.

Eva Pelegrin

@Alessandro Mainente I did. I purposely avoided the prone to supine grip because it irritates my R medial tendonitis. I can adjust my grip as indicated, but I just know it bothers me now. I was thinking that I can work on my back by strengthening retraction and depression to have a more solid base and bypass elbow stress (for now) before I change grips, but in order to work on strength I would need to do ground row as the inclines don't challenge me enough for strength gains... 

Alessandro Mainente

Personally i think that for the most majority of people the rowing variation is elbows conditioning because they have never worked those muscles in the correct reps range and in fact they suffer from fatigued elbows flexor. instead of reduce the benefit of an exercise you should first heal from injury.

Eva Pelegrin

I agree with you about healing from injury. This is my wish and priority. I've decreased my activity over the years to the point I'm not doing that much anymore and it really annoys me. I end up weaker, fatter and still in pain. This has been a chronic issue for me that I carry from computer overuse in the past and it's not going away since I still have to use the computer a bit. It's somewhat under control now, but it can flair up at any moment, specially now that I feel my strength is at its weakest! I have a slightly subluxed ulnar nerve and slightly hyper extended elbows, which don't help structurally either. 

I'm currently focusing on strengthening my forearm extensors along F7. @Zach Armijo recommended Metolious finger extensor exercises, which I started doing everyday as I walk across the park, and @Cole Dano recommended doing the Reverse Tyler Twist (Flexbar eccentrics) which I do while I take a break from my computer. I listen. Apply. And even take notes. I dare anyone to be more diligent.

1 hour ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

instead of reduce the benefit of an exercise you should first heal from injury.

I didn't intend to reduce the benefit. If something gives me pain, I stay away from it. I've been trying to avoid positions and moves that aggravate my elbow pain. The rational for my previous comment is that if I did a chin up now and held it in the top position, I know it would give me pain at my elbow. But if I follow a strategy where I start by pre-strengthen my back with neutral rows and create some security around my shoulder girdle, then I think I will be able to play with supinated grip safely and eventually do a chin up with proper form, experiencing less stress at my elbow and more likely to hold the top position without pain. Maybe I should just try it again and see how I feel... Honestly, I'm afraid. I'm admittedly coming from a place of fear and being very conservative as I know how sneaky this pain is. It builds up over time and no Graston, A.R.T or bodywork treatment has ever worked sustainably for me.

I don't think I fall in the category of "the most majority of people" as far as elbow conditioning. I did rowing in college and have a strong background in pulling endurance from using Clubbels, rope, static trapeze, so I've done some elbow conditioning in the past, even rice buckets in MA training. At least, I know from my past experience that if I'm strong at pulling, my elbow feels better because all the surrounding elbow structures feel stronger/thicker. Of course, I'm also working in my push strength to catch up, which I suspect is in part responsible for my overall imbalance. Hopefully going thru Foundations will help. Building connective tissue integrity and strength is my priority. I have a few mobility deficits, but mostly I'm lacking in strength now. I'm open to new thoughts and strategies. Thank you Alessandro!

 

Eva Pelegrin

I raised my rings to the point that my body load feels very light and I can do the pronated to supinated grip with practically no elbow pain discomfort. I’m feeling it primarily in my forearms (and core towards las 2 sets). Is this good/correct? Admittedly, I'm paranoid about feeling the slightest burn in my forearms, in particular around my medial epicondyle. I don’t want to irritate it any further. It has a mind of its own.

If I look at this PE as a conditioning step for the connective tissue in this motion, rather than a strength building, this makes sense. I can do 5 x 15r. Below is my fifth set to show my worst possible form. How long should I do this for?

Mark Collins

I would keep this as the warm up and move on.

On your first video I noticed at the top of the pull you extended the thoracic spine/lifted the ribs. Try to keep the ribs down, which will help keep the psoas from becoming overactive and extending the lumbar spine too much. With your history take every opportunity that you can to stop your lumbar spine from living in extension.

Eva Pelegrin

Regarding top video, yes, I'm aware of the the T extension at end range. It's a result from weakness and my structural balance. I'm very mindful of pulling ribs in, ppt, etc. as I regain my pull strength I should be able to clean it up. Thanks Mark for the green light!