Stiff Legged Box Deadlift For Presses

Started by jamesters, October 30, 2009 · 4 Replies · 3,508 Views

jamesters

I was just thinking about different methods to train for L sit press to hand stand, and an interesting idea I had was stiff legged box deadlifts. I wonder if it'd be helpful. Here's a video if you don't know stiff legged deadlifts

but my plan was to do it from a box or platform so that it would be deep stretch while building strength at the same time.

Do you think it'd be beneficial?

Timy7

Specific goals require specific training, I wouldnt waste your time man.

Nick Van Bockxmeer

I don't really think there would be much carry over to lifting into a handstand press.

Lifting and pressing into a handstand will require strength mostly through the shoulders and back. You do not specifically need huge amounts of hamstring strength to raise the legs, rather the active flexibility in extending the shoulders and lifting the legs from a compressed pike. Read coaches articles on wall press handstands and box press handstands.

If you are trying to increase the load on the hamstrings you can perform weighted pike stretches. Which is kind of similar to a dead lift / good morning but with an emphasis on bending all the way down into a compressed pike.

Press handstand = high amounts of active flexibility and strength. Can't really develop this through weight lifting.

jamesters
nickvb said:
Lifting and pressing into a handstand will require strength mostly through the shoulders and back. You do not specifically need huge amounts of hamstring strength to raise the legs, rather the active flexibility in extending the shoulders and lifting the legs from a compressed pike. Read coaches articles on wall press handstands and box press handstands.

Well, it's not so much my shoulders and back that's lagging as much as I just have a hard time actively compressing my legs so tight into my body. I thought if the strength of my hamstrings won't benefit me much, at least the stretch of the deadlift (doing them as low as I could go) would help my flexibility at the least (I've known many contortionists that supplement their stretches with weights).

I'll probably end up experimenting with this anyway, but just wanted to know people's opinions. So ya, that's what I'm thinking right now, if the strength building of it doesn't benefit me, hopefully the stretching will.

I'm curious what the weighted pike stretches are that you're talking about though.

Hayden Whealing

here is the link to weighted pike stretch

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=388&p=1126&hilit=pike+stretch#p1126