I don't really know how to know whether I'm doing these properly. It seems like it should be something that's incredibly slow so I can focus on one vertebrae at a time, but I feel pressure from the GB Pro videos to go a lot faster than that.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by James Koppel, March 26, 2016 · 6 Replies · 134 Views
I don't really know how to know whether I'm doing these properly. It seems like it should be something that's incredibly slow so I can focus on one vertebrae at a time, but I feel pressure from the GB Pro videos to go a lot faster than that.
James,
At the bottom of the J curl, you seem to have decent ROM and hamstring flexibility. However, if you were to slow mo the video, your vertebral column is not "unstacking one-by-one." There seems to be a point in your upper-mid back that moves collectively.
In your description, you say you feel pressured by the pace at which the Pro videos are performing the exercise. My advise: do NOT let anyone or anything else make you feel rushed through your training. Slow and steady wins the race. Deliberate, slow, and controlled movement pays off dividends in the long run. Remember what each iM description says, "Do not be concerned if your initial range of motion does not match that of the video. As you train...your body will naturally adapt." Over time, with perfect practice, your pace will naturally increase.
Cheers, and keep up the hard work,
Matthew
First off, you have great ROM! Jealous.
You seem to be doing this *way* too fast. One vertebrae at a time. It's not a race :-)
Well, I've been working on these some more the last few months, really focusing on slowing down and doing one vertebrae at a time.
The result? It now takes a really long time, and I don't know if they're any better. Help wanted.
I am stuck on this. Advice appreciated.
The video quality makes it difficult to see exactly what is going on, but here are a few tips from what we can see in the video:
1. Keep the chin tucked throughout the rep. I can't stress this enough. You seem distracted like you're looking at the camera or something, which is very counterproductive. Keep the chin to the chest, stay focused throughout the entire rep.
2. Straight legs throughout: It looks like your knees are bending and your hips are pushing back a little early. Try doing this exercise on the floor (not on a bench) first until you feel stable enough to keep your knees entirely locked throughout the motion. If you're really struggling with this one, there is no shame and possibly a lot of benefit to regressing it down. Start on the floor (most stable surface) and maybe not go as deep as the athletes in the GB Pro video. Go as far as you can until your knees start to bend.
3. Feel your hamstrings working under maximal stretch: Once you're at the bottom of the rep, try to feel the pull in the hamstrings (and calf muscles behind the knees). On the way up, the hamstrings should feel like they are working to pull you up.
Keep at it James. You are on the right track. Often times, the subtleties of these exercises are felt differently in each of us. Keep us posted in about 4 weeks after implementing these
-The execution should begin with chest up, head up and retraction, if not how do you suppose to curl the very first spine unit?
-your legs seem to be a little flexed in the knee, can you use some shorts?
-after the cervical units are curled the chin must be held to the sternum
-the weighted bar must be held close to the body as much as you can and move it far only when necessary (e.g. to pass under the feet)
-personal suggestion is holding the IM1 in the warm up to make the IM2 easier.