This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Question on RC/PE1>im

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, March 26, 2016 · 3 Replies · 121 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I'm recently coming back to these with Pro+. I have a question about the >im. It seems really easy and I rarely feel a stretch. I understand it's supposed to be the upper back. But I'm not sure how exactly to be leaning. As a result I sometimes feel it in my lower back. 

Should I:

- sit as far back as I can so that my upper back is pulled forward and then stretch the lat by trying lean away from the bar as my upper back is simultaneously being pulled forward?

- have my arm straight in front of me, parallel to the ground, and lean laterally outward away from the wrist to stretch the lat that way (in a similar fashion to RC/PE3>im, but be sitting upright instead of facing the floor)

- begin to lean back away from the bar as I begin to drop into the quarter squat position, so that the arm/shoulder is pulled forward since the lat is leaning away

 

I've felt the most stretch doing it in the first manner I explained. My question though is I never really feel that great of a stretch in any of the positions. I also try to be certain that I'm sitting upright as possible, though I'm not sure to what degree that is called for since te >im is a "lean". My third issue is that sometimes I'll feel tension in my lower back which will lead me to shift the weight a little bit. I'm just not certain how to get into this and whether it's really meant to be that intense. I'm revisiting PE1's and want to be crystal clear on my mastery. PE2>im wrecks me, so I know when/where/how to feel that stretch but this one only 'stretches' if I seemingly overexert and I can't help but think that that can't be right.

Travis Widmann

I'd say don't overthink it. The point at which you start considering the semantics of the word "lean" probably means you're getting a bit too deep.  Torso parallel to wall, working arm parallel to floor, shoulder level with hand. Lean back. Let your back relax. No twisting. Yes, it's easy. Enjoy the rest between sets. If you want to you can throw in some other iMs after your workout.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Fair enough. Since I'm refining my PE1's and I know PE2>im whoops, I'll likely just work on that in addition, since I get nothing out of the PE1 im. I figured I might be overthinking it, which is why I thought it best to ask in the forums.

Mikel Perez

I use it in a 90/90 position, so my torso and shins are parallel to the wall, while my working arm and my thighs are parallel to the floor. Great to get stamina in your forearms and stretch shoulders and upper lats.