This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE3

Started by Petri Widsten, March 26, 2016 · 18 Replies · 430 Views

Petri Widsten

Started doing these today with 5x3. Here's the first set. In the first rep I can see I need more PPT but how's the form otherwise? 

I think I'm going to enjoy this exercise! 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jon Douglas

Biggest point to watch right now is avoid piking at the hips. Protracting strongly will help with this, as you will be able to get a bigger % of weight onto your hands. Hips rising first will cheat your strength gains; get the line, lock it in and do your reps :)

People have solved this in ways including putting a chalk line under their face and ensuring they maintain the level above it, doing reps with hair brushing a wall, that sort of thing. Or just videoing yourself regularly may be enough :)

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

In addition to what Jon Douglas stated above.

Rewatch the course video and look for more details(IE: upper arm rotation, scapula movement, etc) that you may have missed from previous views.

Petri Widsten

Thanks guys. I'll try to fix the piking first thru more protraction and if I manage to do that then look at any finer points.

Also I rewatched the course video and noticed that the athlete didn't bring his hips to floor like I tried to do, just his chest and face. Is hips to floor bad form here - in normal PUs you're supposed to do so right?

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

What you see in the course videos is the standard for mastery. Our hips typically wouldn't reach the floor if are holding are pelvis tilted correctly.

Petri Widsten

Well that's what I was suspecting and that's the answer I was hoping to hear. This will make matters simpler.

Stian Stensen

What do you mean by protracted shoulders?

 

Petri Widsten

I've reached the halfway mark (5×5) in reps so thought I'd have my form evaluated again. Is it improving and am I leaning enough? I understand hands at lower ribs is the requirement.

 

 

Petri Widsten

Bump

Cole Dano

It looks like you are an track. Overall a great effort, nice lean, elbows stay in front of the wrist and they look pretty smooth.

I'd like to see you reduce the arch in your lower back a touch, but it's not bad at all. There are a couple of reps where your line breaks, but again it's not a huge break so within tolerance and these will continue to get stronger with practice.

Petri Widsten

Hey thanks Cole, that matches my self-evaluation. Working planche leans with more lean than here goes well with this exercise.

Petri Widsten

I've held back on adding reps to my sets to improve my form, which mostly involves minimising the arching. Here are my 1st and final (5th) sets of 5. I think I've improved some on my previous form but what do you think? I'd also like suggestions as to whether I should continue to improve my form at 5x5 or work my way up to 5x10 already.

 

Petri Widsten

Bump

Leo Trinidad

wow @Petri Widsten very nice improvement. i like it. yes i would do the same thing. keep improving the form first before increasing the volume. more protraction and PPT. :)

Petri Widsten
30 minutes ago, Leo Trinidad said:

wow @Petri Widsten very nice improvement. i like it. yes i would do the same thing. keep improving the form first before increasing the volume. more protraction and PPT. :)

Is there ever enough of both☺? Alright, I'll stay at 5x5 then. Thanks Leo

Petri Widsten

@Cole Dano@Leo Trinidad

I've still been focusing on form and they are starting to look right to me. What's the verdict?

 

Everett Carroll

Your hips pike a bit as you push up. Work on keeping tight glutes to prevent this. The degree of lean and protraction look good to me. 

Petri Widsten

I'll continue refining the form then, Everett. Thank you for checking.

Leo Trinidad

looking good overall @Petri Widsten, work on your PPT as Everett suggested. :) keep up the good work.