This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Organic milk vs non whole

Started by Sean Wood, March 25, 2016 · 2 Replies · 125 Views

Sean Wood

I have access to organic certified 3.25% milk or local non certified whole. My thinking is the whole non cert is the better choice due to less processing. Certainly tastes better.  Thoughts and thank you. 

Julia Quigley

Since the whole milk is local, do you have any info on how the cows are raised/treated?

Sean Wood

Good question Julia, I have spoken to the farmers. They use antibiotics but because they are a smaller operation they only treat the sick cows not mass treatment, like in a water source, like other bigger farms. Sick cows are isolated from the herd which not all farms can do either. Aside from this they get outside time to graze and move around, treated humanely from what I gather. We don't have the growing season to do full grass feed- grassed finished beef but they do supplement with quality hay. More info than I get from the other bigger company organic stuff. 

So i like that not all get treated. Reduced chance of that getting to me and because this kind of healthy thing is growing in demand around here, they are fully aware of customer needs. And people are lined up forever at our farmers market to get this stuff.