This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Vertical Frog?

Started by Ben Neal, March 25, 2016 · 12 Replies · 440 Views

Ben Neal

Is this supposed to be a hip opener? Where should I feel the stretch?

Also I need a block under my bum to stay upright, possibly due to ankle ROM? (or lack of)

Thanks

Everett Carroll

Hi Ben,

Using a block for this is totally fine. Many students use one or more blocks when beginning vertical frog. This stretch is warming you up for the straddle/hip work later in the series and takes time to loosen up in so don't worry if your form isn't matching the form in the course just yet. Keep at this one and over time it will improve. 

Oussama KHELLADI

is this a good form ? and which is best for the extended leg pointing upward or to the ceiling , critics are welcome

14191463_10210447442613232_63310016_o.jpg

 

 

Everett Carroll

You want to externally rotate the femur of the extended leg so knee facing the ceiling. Form is good. Over time you will get your hips much lower but don't be in a rush. Just like all stretch exercises, gains are developed slow and steady.

Patrick Rentz
6 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

You want to externally rotate the femur of the extended leg so knee facing the ceiling. Form is good. Over time you will get your hips much lower but don't be in a rush. Just like all stretch exercises, gains are developed slow and steady.

Is the main target of this stretch the adductors of the straight leg? I know it probably hits the same thing regular frog does on the bent leg, but I feel it strongly in the straight leg.

Oussama KHELLADI
8 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

You want to externally rotate the femur of the extended leg so knee facing the ceiling. Form is good. Over time you will get your hips much lower but don't be in a rush. Just like all stretch exercises, gains are developed slow and steady.

actually i was doing it that way i will post a picture about it to check the form , i always try to make the extended leg in line with the Hips so the range will be much larger

Everett Carroll

@Patrick Rentz That's correct, it's targeting both. Sounds like your adductors are just really tight.

Wayne Smith

This thread has been perfectly timed for me. Last week I watched the MS follow along video right through.  Then I watched each of the instructional videos with Wesley.  A couple of days ago I was psyched to do my MS routine. (last Weds I did the FS routine with what I thought was acceptable total beginner performance).  I got as far as vertical frog, and I'm sure my butt must have been 3 feet off the ground.; I thought ok, if this is as low as I can go, then that's where I start.   The problem was I as I was so high and unbalanced, I don't have the strength to maintain the position as well as feel the stretch, if I move to balance I lose the stretch and if I move into the stretch I lose my balance.  So I stopped the video and revisited Wesley, but was still a little lost.  Then I saw this post, and with some pointers from my flexy martial artist wife I think I have something I can work with for next time.  I have a block about 200mm (8 inch) high to begin with.

Thanks everyone I love how easy you make it to find help. I'm looking forward to being able to post some flexy progress shots in a year or two :)

Cheers 

James Orr
5 minutes ago, Wayne Smith said:

I got as far as vertical frog, and I'm sure my butt must have been 3 feet off the ground.

:D LOL, I'm going through Middle Split for the first time right now as well.  I stopped the video to come ask for scaling options.  I'd say my butt's 2 1/2 feet off the ground though, so I guess I have that on you ;)  Kidding.  

What are some scaling options for this, or should I just keep my butt up?  I'm leaning forward as I do; I can't do this with an upright back.  Should I just go as is, or are there some tips to keep in mind?  

Thanks, guys.

Everett Carroll

@Wayne Smith Glad this thread was helpful

@James Orr As long as you are working to get your hips lower, you are probably doing fine. Post a photo/video for a form check if you are still unsure. Over time you will lean forward less and get your hips lower.

To help with remaining more upright, you could support yourself with your hands on stacked blocks. This should minimize forward lean if the blocks are high enough and allow you to focus on getting your hips lower. Slow, steady work is going to be the real trick with all of these stretches, however. 

Greg White

Hmmm.

This thread is making me think i need to post a a form check. I'm thinking I might be something wrong as my butt is on the floor and my torso is upright without much issue. Sure, my bent leg is not perfectly vertical and my foot is near my butt. I'm wondering if i'm missing something basic which means i can get my butt on floor and be relatively upright? Experinece tells me if it's relatively easy then i'm not doing it right.

 

Julia Quigley
1 hour ago, Greg White said:

Hmmm.

This thread is making me think i need to post a a form check. I'm thinking I might be something wrong as my butt is on the floor and my torso is upright without much issue. Sure, my bent leg is not perfectly vertical and my foot is near my butt. I'm wondering if i'm missing something basic which means i can get my butt on floor and be relatively upright? Experinece tells me if it's relatively easy then i'm not doing it right.

 

My understanding is you should get first get the shin vertical (or as much as possible) and then work on lowering your butt/sitting upright and then making your frog wider/the leg angle more open. 

Guido Franchetti