This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stretching programming

Started by Guido Franchetti, March 23, 2016 · 3 Replies · 220 Views

Guido Franchetti

So far I have been training headstand only, and starting from the next week I intend to gradually incorporate stretching and foundations as well.

I will be doing the Foundation 1 split (FL, SPL, HBP, RC on one session and MN, SL, SLS on the other) and continue training H1. I will be experimenting with the schedule to see what fits me best, but the idea is to have 3-4 days of training a week with 3-4 sessions of foundation, 1-2 of H1 and 1-2 of stretching.  Is there any general advice on which stretch should go with which F1/H1 training session or is it mostly a personal thing? E.g. is it better to have H1 and TB on the same day as they target the same muscles, or the opposite holds? Which foundation session goes better with H1? From reading around the forum I gathered that it is better to space out FS and MS stretches as much as possible.

Douglas Wadle

I really don't think it matters what day you do them. You could argue it would be good to do them on the day you do similar exercises (to focus on one aspect of mobility), or you could argue it would be better not to ( to spread out mobility work over multiple days). I say whatever fits in your schedule and makes you do them consistently. 

Jon Douglas

I go with first name Douglas here. Consistency is everything on the stretches. For me it fits everytime on handstand days, whilst on Foundation days it might occasionally fall by the wayside. Avoid the potential trap and get em done. As long as you are well warmed and working at appropriate intensity it's pretty much just putting sessions into the books and suddenly discovering better movement :)

Guido Franchetti

Thanks, got it, less planning and more doing!