This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Using dowel grips during MN PE5 & IM

Started by Julia Quigley, March 22, 2016 · 5 Replies · 114 Views

Julia Quigley

I just recently acquired stall bars (yay!) and my hands were a little unhappy with half hanging leg lifts and vertical pike walks back to back. I remembered reading that chalk is recommended in this case, but didn't have any on hand. I put on the dowel grips I use for trapeze, which made is much easier, but on reflection...maybe they made it too easy :)

What do you say? Are grips cheating in this case? 

Eva Pelegrin

I would suggest let your hands adapt to the discomfort and build some good looking calluses! A couple of exercises is not that much "pain" time in my book. Use it to get stronger. You probably know better from flying trapeze. When I was doing static trapeze (1.5 hrs sessions) I had pretty good calluses (in many places) and even then, every once in a while I would get a rip in my hand usually towards the end of my session. At that point, I knew I had done enough and call it a day. If your hands don't look like this, embrace the "pain" :lol: 

And congrats on the stall bars!

IMG_0535.JPG

IMG_0576.JPG

Alessandro Mainente

Buy some chalk, the care of your hands, it is a part of the process.

Julia Quigley

I'll get some chalk and put on my big girl panties :)

Eve, it actually wasn't my skin that bothered me--I do have calluses from flying trapeze and I'll well accustomed to the occasional rip--my grip just felt more comfortable/secure with the dowel grips. I guess because most of my hanging activity is flying trapeze, and I use the dowel grips for that, that's what I'm adapted to. I'll just learn to adapt something new!

 

Eva Pelegrin

I figured you had some good looking hands too. I noticed the varnish or whatever finishing coat the stall bars have seems to be slippery or too smooth. I use chalk too.

Everett Carroll

Using athletic tape on the rungs also helps.