This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hunger Games

Started by Cameron Williams, March 22, 2016 · 6 Replies · 148 Views

Cameron Williams

I'm wondering what level of hunger is acceptable before lunch (if that can be quantified)?

I eat breakfast around 830-9am. I usually start feeling hungry around 1130-12. I go get a coffee with cream at this point and then end up eating lunch around 1pm.

On a scale of 0= full as, 5= I could eat now, 10= raging hangry-ness, I'm at a level 5 around 1130.

My logic is that I can keep the fat-as-fuel train going a little longer with my coffee cream, and it gives me that little bit of sustainence until 1pm, when I eat lunch.

Is this ok in terms of amount of breakfast and meal spacing? Or does this indicate that I should be eating more breakfast?

Thanks!

Cam

Jeff Serven

Haha! Great title!

Drink the coffee at 10am. Lunch at 12-1230. Does that work? 3-4hr gap is about all ya really need. I just don't want you to eat at 9, 11 and 1. 

Cameron Williams

Got it.

Thanks!

Jared Lybbert

What if you never actually feel hungry ? I could probably skip breakfast and eat an 7pm lunch and still not actually feel any stomach hunger, which I have had to do on occasion. Lets assume for discussion's sake I'm following the portions laid out in thrive, and that I'm not eating some ridiculous meals. It is just weird to me that whereas my girlfriend will be complaining of starving after a short while. I can just eat on schedule but never feel hunger pangs.

Jeff Serven

Huh? thats interesting. Most people would definitely get some hunger pangs eating breakfast then nothing until dinner. Have you always been this way or since Thrive? Right after eating breakfast how do you feel? What is a typical breakfast? 

Jared Lybbert

Typical breakfast is 2-3 eggs plus some butter / cream/ and/or avocado, as per thrive, and sometimes some black coffee, which I've been doing since January-ish very solidly. I feel sated, not stuffed obviously but I wouldn't just rush to go run some suicide dashes. If I do miss a meal or two in this case, it definitely changes my mood with regards to irritability, but no hunger pangs.

I feel like I can put this directly on all the time I'd spend in restaurants where you could easily work a 8-10 hour shift without ever actually getting a chance to eat a meal, and on some busy weekends I could easily end up with 1 late meal. I guess after awhile the hunger just went away or my body got used to not being able to rely on food every 5 hours as with a normal schedule, I also weighed <150lbs so it was definitely taxing (I'm 5'10 and currently 190~). That's my best guess, but currently it's been a few years now that I have been out of the industry and Ive been able to keep a much more regular schedule, and that aspect of feeling hungry has not changed. 

What I was able to find on the Internet had to do with how quickly/efficiently your body could adjust to burning fat. Seems odd huh?  Where is that Ghrelin, ever?
 

Jeff Serven

Jared, your train of thought is in the right direction. You can absolutely down regulate your appetite which would level you feeling no hunger. I suppose if you were to eat your three squares a day you would come to rely on them and feel those pangs when you missed a meal. 

150-190 is a huge range. I would say that you defiantly need those foods throughout the day but its tough when you feel nothing when you skip a meal. I get it but if your weight shifted that much its unhealthy. 

The fastest you can adapt to burning fat is pretty well established. 2 weeks for a heathy individual with great insulin sensitivity (1% of the population) and 6 weeks for the cookie monster. The drink is adding in all the human error - 6 weeks could never if you don't follow some sort of proven plan.