This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL/PE2>iM Check

Started by Iain McLean, March 18, 2016 · 4 Replies · 86 Views

Iain McLean

I would like a form check for this.  I have mild degeneration between T11 through L3 and my mid back is not very tolerant of any extension.  I brace the spine significantly during this to avoid going too far into extension.  Is the goal of this exercise to generate most of the movement from the hips or more through the spine? 

Thanks in advance.

 

Cole Dano

It's a combination of both, the movement is generated by the spine but the hips naturally follow that movement.

I actually like some of your later reps more as you arch a bit more from the upper back and less from the lower. In practical terms this might mean that it feels like you dial it down a notch.

Iain McLean

Thank you for your response Cole.  So it sounds like the arching should not be concentrated just in the lower spine but evenly distributed throughout the back?

Cole Dano

Yes, if anything concentrated in the upper back.

Iain McLean

Progress has been very slow with this element.  I've been trying to stay within the pain free envelope.  How does it look now?  Is this considered enough ROM to be considered mastered?