Hello GB Community,
I'll start by apologizing for the long post, bear with me! I just have a number of questions regarding combining H1 and F1. I've seen a few threads discussing this but have additional questions. First, is it a better idea to combine elements of each into two separate workouts that alternate (just as F1 alternates between FL/sPL/HBP/RC and MN/SL/SLS), or to do F7 alternating with H1? I understand there are multiple variables involved, but just in a general recovery and progress sense.
My concern leads me to my second question, which is basically if going with the latter, how to progress with F7. Let's say for example I am on PE3 for FL, sPL, MN and SL and have gotten to the point where I am testing mastery on each. Following F7, that would imply 5x60s SHBH, 5x60s SAP, 5x15 VUP and 5x10ea SAO in the same workout, which seems a bit much as far as recovery is concerned. It's been said multiple times on this forum and in the fitness world, more volume does not necessarily equal more progress as it is more important to perform quality sets than a large quantity of garbage sets. I can't imagine how much quality would be left for the last few exercises going with F7. It is certainly possible that broken into two separate workouts, this could be done, but as one workout it's possible only one or two of these would be achieved.
Going with achieving mastery on 2/4 of these, would the idea be to progress in the two that you manage to complete and stay on Step 9 for the last two, even if you could have gotten mastery on the other 2 if they were in their own workout? Or should you set aside time to test the mastery of the failed exercises on their own?
My thinking is that if you hit mastery on 2/4, then the next progression, PE4 in this example, would start off on Step 1 and in those workouts you would take advantage of the "easier" start to the next progression and try to hit mastery on the two outstanding ones. Is that the idea? Or might it be a better strategy to flip the workout order and hit the 2 exercises where mastery was not achieved earlier in the workout to attain mastery? My confusion here lies within where one qualifies for mastery. Is it intended to count as mastery only within the entire workout, or could you, say, try each individual Step 9 on their own while fresh?
Going full circle to the beginning of my post, has anyone had success in combining elements from F1 and H1 into two separate workouts that can be alternated just like the F1 schedule suggests, and if so, is it possible to share the workout split?
I love the GB programs. I've used a number of elements for my own training, especially the mobility components, and have had great success. I want to change gears a little bit away from power and olympic lifting for a while and am looking to get the best bang for your buck in combining the F1 and H1 programs. I have been involved in fitness and training for some time so programming is always of a concern to me, hence all the questions.
Thanks in advance