This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Resting period on sPL/SE 3 (Tuck PL)

Started by Luca Moro, March 18, 2016 · 12 Replies · 373 Views

Luca Moro

Hey there! :)

I don't know if someone already asked that,
but I wondered if some rest is allowed between the exercise and IM for mastery. 
That's because,at least for me, this exercise means having to alternate between two exercises that are strength endeavours for the same muscle group, and having zero rest time is like going for pure endurance.

And I don't know if that's the real plan or if I'm missing something. :(
Thanks in advance,
Luca

Coach Sommer

Nope.  No rest allowed in between them for mastery.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Luca Moro

Thanks!

Christian Nogueira

I'm still in sPL/SE1 but I think the intention is that the im should be kinda of a rest position (rest under tension). I think there was another post by Zach which mentioned this point.

Arthur Wong
14 hours ago, Zach Armijo said:

For most people starting out in this iM, they lack a proper amount of lean as well as a strong push.  Students will want to sink in the position and squeeze with the arms against the body.  That's just lazy and incorrect ,as it is in the Back Lever.  You will need to learn to move in and out of this position.  Sinking too far down will make it that much harder on yourself to get back out.  If you find yourself too low in the hold,  you have now created more depth to press out of it.  You can see the problems stack from here.  

Maybe I misunderstood this... How low/high should we be? Looking at the IM video the guy's face is like an inch from the floor, I really don't think he could much lower. 

Christian Nogueira
45 minutes ago, Zach Armijo said:

As as you get stronger, you will find it highly advantageous to hold your torso inline with your upper arms. This will be more easily understood when performing hollow backs on PBs or elevated surfaces. 

Is the idea to not fall into a full scapular retraction as that'll make pressing out more difficult and harder to keep PPT ?

Ryan Hutchins

lol... i love reading questions that have been answered already.

No rest no rest no rest. "But Coach it's hard! Can't i rest a little bit? Please"

I believe that the most progress is made when the athlete despises the easy. I love when my athletes ask a question like "Did you mean do it all together when you said 5 muscle ups, BL, FL or seperately?" I give them a look. And they walk away and do it as a giant set. Just assume it's the hard way and let someone correct you from being too awesome. 

Igor Czerniawski

I wonder how many of you completed the masteries taking "no rest" rule literally. For example when you were completeing RC/PE6, did you have your station for mobility set right next to your pull up bar ? Yeh right :) you probably walked across your garden to grab onto something. What was your tempo ? If you take it literally, you would probably need to actively rest about 15 seconds. There is probably 1% of mutants that could do it here this way. Even 5 or 10 seconds longer rest makes a humongous difference in how you will perform in your next set. So how long should I rest ? That is the Question.

Kate Abernethy

Literally-minded non-mutant humans take 0s. :)

Ryan Hutchins
12 hours ago, Igor Czerniawski said:

I wonder how many of you completed the masteries taking "no rest" rule literally. For example when you were completeing RC/PE6, did you have your station for mobility set right next to your pull up bar ? Yeh right :) you probably walked across your garden to grab onto something. What was your tempo ? If you take it literally, you would probably need to actively rest about 15 seconds. There is probably 1% of mutants that could do it here this way. Even 5 or 10 seconds longer rest makes a humongous difference in how you will perform in your next set. So how long should I rest ? That is the Question.

Uhhhhh.... .my mobility station was literally behind me in the gym. This progression wasn't even difficult to do. I think the big question is should you rest after your mobility before starting the next set. For me my set went like this.  I imagined that i was Sly Stalone in Cliffhanger for 60 seconds. Got down from the bar. Walked 4 steps to the stall bars and did my IM. Stood up. Shook my arms out. Waited a second or two for the throbbing to subside and then jumped back up on the bar for my next hold. This whole deal with the 0 rest is so blown out of proportion to me. I felt good about that progression and moved myself on when i had completed it. 

Free ideas for GB right here. Release a few(don't want to give away the seeeecrets!) mastery examples completely uncut and done the way that Coach would approve of. It wouldn't need to be the full 5 rounds. Just 2 or 3 rounds to show sample rest, acceptable form degradation, and overall tempo during the exercise and getting to the IM. Maybe that could be a new digital coaching area. Uncut Mastery videos. 

          Bottom line here is rest as long as you need to but not more than you need to. Taking 30 seconds to breathe after dong Straddle Planche SE3 combined with the IM would not be a bad idea as long as you give yourself the same amount of time every time. However, going into another room and watching YouTube, making a protein shake, and responding to text messages would be an example of too much time. When i do my Front Lever work i take 0 rest after the IM because the 2 elements are unrelated. some of the HBP IM's are a minute long on both sides of your body giving you wayyyyyy too much time to recover. So i say all that to say stay flexible, work hard, and progress in a way that you would be proud of. And if you still don't know how to do it then send in your uncut mastery video and we'll set you straight :icon_twisted:

Igor Czerniawski
1 hour ago, Ryan Hutchins said:

Uhhhhh.... .my mobility station was literally behind me in the gym. This progression wasn't even difficult to do. I think the big question is should you rest after your mobility before starting the next set. For me my set went like this.  I imagined that i was Sly Stalone in Cliffhanger for 60 seconds. Got down from the bar. Walked 4 steps to the stall bars and did my IM. Stood up. Shook my arms out. Waited a second or two for the throbbing to subside and then jumped back up on the bar for my next hold. This whole deal with the 0 rest is so blown out of proportion to me. I felt good about that progression and moved myself on when i had completed it. 

Free ideas for GB right here. Release a few(don't want to give away the seeeecrets!) mastery examples completely uncut and done the way that Coach would approve of. It wouldn't need to be the full 5 rounds. Just 2 or 3 rounds to show sample rest, acceptable form degradation, and overall tempo during the exercise and getting to the IM. Maybe that could be a new digital coaching area. Uncut Mastery videos. 

          Bottom line here is rest as long as you need to but not more than you need to. Taking 30 seconds to breathe after dong Straddle Planche SE3 combined with the IM would not be a bad idea as long as you give yourself the same amount of time every time. However, going into another room and watching YouTube, making a protein shake, and responding to text messages would be an example of too much time. When i do my Front Lever work i take 0 rest after the IM because the 2 elements are unrelated. some of the HBP IM's are a minute long on both sides of your body giving you wayyyyyy too much time to recover. So i say all that to say stay flexible, work hard, and progress in a way that you would be proud of. And if you still don't know how to do it then send in your uncut mastery video and we'll set you straight :icon_twisted:

You must be a supermen then :) My friend can do 3 one arm chin ups, climbs 5 meter rope legless 3 times, and can do only 2 and a half set described in this let's call it extreme fashion. It took me nearly a year to complete this mastery, even though the stall bar in my gym were 10 meters away. I guess some people are naturally more gifted for endurance work. I very much enjoy every progression in this program, but no one will convince me that this exercise is a must to be able safely ascend 5 or even 8 meter rope.

Jon Douglas

My station was right next to the bar. I worked it for four months, but got it with no rest. I am certainly no superman, and it was hard :)

Ryan Hutchins

I'm no superman but i don't find strength as hard to achieve as others do. I started as a very skinny teenager and found that despite that i could build muscle very easily. Strength holds like that are very mental exercises. I enjoy that part as well which is why i imagine myself in a do or die scenario to get through it. 

I like this part of your comment:  no one will convince me that this exercise is a must to be able safely ascend 5 or even 8 meter rope.

This exercise isn't necessary to climb a rope. Mastering the progression according to Coach Sommers isn't necessary to climb a rope. However achieving someone else's level of excellence that is potentially far beyond one's own standard is the key here. You have to decide if that is what you want. No one will know if you skimp on the mastery. The GB program is very personal in that aspect. If you have this attitude then why in the world would you spend a year on it? The practical would be to give yourself more rest and move on since it's just climbing a rope. In this case i enjoy having C Sommers here to elevate my standards on excellence. I just don't nitpick it to death wanting an exact answer and amount for everything. 

Regardless... i hope your question about rest was finally answered. Keep up the hard work!