This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Flexibility without warmup

Started by Gabor Kulcsar, March 18, 2016 · 3 Replies · 218 Views

Gabor Kulcsar

Apologies if this was discussed before.

I see great progress with the stretch series - for example in just a couple of months I advanced in the pike from barely touching the ground with my fingertips to putting my palms down. BUT. This range of motion is only available after some warmup - my cold flexibility does not seem to have improved at all!

Is this normal, and how can I do better? I do daily limbering, but without it, I'm back to barely reaching the floor in the pike.

Ryan Bailey

Awesome Gabor! Are you on early MN iM yet, or early press Handstand iM? Train these correctly, with the appropriate weight and the body has no option but to give up and legthen :)

 

Alessandro Mainente

For the flexibility without warm up you need to:

-improve strength of the muscle that makes the stretch position actively. so for pike I mean quads and abs

-improve the strength of the muscles stretched. this because a strong muscle at maximal rom could be stretched without problem because the maximal rom is supported by strength.

If you look to this video (it is in italian) you can jump to 2:31 minutes and see my cold split without any type of warm up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEk-RKFiwEQ

Now it is also increased so that  I can reach approximately the floor. it took to me about 2 years.

If you are a beginner I suggest a basic strength program while working for at least 6-12 months on stretch series.

Gabor Kulcsar

Hi Ryan, yes, MN/PE2 is my best friend for the next couple of years, until my pancake catches up. Which is great, because it is paired with the Jefferson curl :)

Alessandro, thanks for the advice, so I just need to be more patient and do the F1 programming and eventually my cold flexibility will improve.