This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Squash hurt my knees, GST made them better

Started by Cameron Williams, March 17, 2016 · 9 Replies · 194 Views

Cameron Williams

Just wanted to share a success I've had recently.

I picked up squash in late December after a decade-long hiatus. I thought it would be great cardio, and I enjoy it and had been wanting to get back into it for a while.

Within a month my knees were in pain (patella tendon). Going up or down steps was painful, and so was just bending down to pick something up off the ground. My SLS exercise starting to suffer as well, as my knees would hurt during the exercise, and at times even give out at certain point in the motion. The last match I played in Feb left my knees feeling extra sore for a couple of weeks (it was a particularly long match).

So needless to say, I stopped squash after that.

I continued on with my SLS exercises, being particularly careful on the iM not to aggravate it too much. And without any rehab at all, my knees slowly started to feel better and better. It's now about 5 weeks later and the pain is virtually gone, whether I'm going down stairs or doing SLS, they feel solid and healthy.

So long story short, GST is good for your knees!

I'm hoping to try squash again in the fall and that my legs will be strong enough at that point to handle the impact... we will see...

Cam

Eva Pelegrin

Haha, SLS >iM's ARE rehab by definition – of the best kind!
Sadly some rehab "experts" don't have a clue, which is why we are the believers (good people) and they're the "neutral" barbarians with "the knees shouldn't go over your toes, don't squat, don't lunger" dysfunctional rhetoric... Aghh sorry, feeling very feisty today, or I'm just getting comfortable with the forum and we don't want that...

Paul Gray

Cam there are many guys that give squash up in their 50's & 60's sometimes even 40's due to bad knees......they simply persist doing the same thing, but expecting a different result.  Plus most of the physio's would probably say just rest.

Cameron Williams

I'm only 34 so hopefully this isn't the end of my squash career!

I'm hoping that with further SLS advancements, I'll eventually be able to play squash pain-free. For now, I'll just be staying away from squash and keeping on with GST :)

Ryan Reynolds

Maybe you just need to be better at squash so that its your opponent that is doing all the running...  Just kidding.

But I do play against a guy here in my local little league who is 72 and I have a harder time beating him than many of the other players.

Good to hear about your knees.

Cameron Williams

Haha! There's no doubt that I need to get better ;)

And yes, those old guys can be very crafty!

I'll have you know the person who ran me around last time was a middle aged woman, so there ya go!

I would like to get to a point where I can play a good hard long game and my knees feel fine... I think I'll get there eventually with GST

Everett Carroll

My training and climbing partner thought his knees were permanently damaged before the knee series. 3 years of patient work later he has zero pain and incredible ROM.

Cameron Williams

That's great to hear - thanks Everett!

Did he do anything additional to GST F1 work? Or did he just follow the progressions and his knees got better?

Everett Carroll

He didn't do anything but foundations for his knees.

Cameron Williams

Good to know!