This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

My Thrive Level One Journey

Started by Sven Moen, March 17, 2016 · 6 Replies · 147 Views

Sven Moen

Almost done with the course now and I have really enjoyed the habit building approach.

These have been the most significant changes for me:

- The "no carbs before lunch" idea. Changed my breakfast habits in major ways.

- Drinking water and nothing else. Obvious. Not quite there yet, but I love the idea.

- Veggies, fruit and starch as the only approved carb sources is now a firmly planted rule in my mind.

I also enjoyed the focus on high quality foods and ingredients. As a consequence I'm now spending more time and money looking for the good stuff.

I trust there is scientific evidence for the recommendations, but even if there weren't I would still like the approach because is has such a naturally appealing quality.
I want it to be true, so to speak.

I have been working out at lunch time for many years, but the course made me change this. I've found a new rhythm: breakfast at 7 am, lunch at 11am, snack at 3pm, workout at 4pm, dinner at 7pm.

Unfortunately Thrive One proved to be compatible with some of my bad habits and I haven't lost any significant weight. Perhaps because I've taken the easy approach of following all the steps, but without adding other changes on my own. So I'm looking forward to Thrive Two, trusting it will help with this.

Mats Trane

What about your body fat percentage?

Sven Moen

Interesting question! Have no measured before value, unfortunately. But I still have to wear my "fat jeans" so I expect not much change on that front either :-) But then I've had the flu and been incapacitated by a hand injury for a few weeks, so less training than usual during the course weeks.

Jeff Serven

Sven, men are not allowed to use the words "my fat jeans"

You seem like you've really picked up the principals of Thrive and really started running with them. Great work!

Thrive is based in part on research and in part on practical experience with my professional athletes. Where I have control of what they eat, what their workout is and what supplements they take. Combining these two is the best way to put things to the test. 

Take it one step at a time, don't worry about the stuff your not doing and be happy about the stuff you are doing. Your going to get there, just keep trucking. Its not an easy road. 

Jeff Serven

Good job on completing THRIVE too. Good for you! You may not see it but as Mats pointed out there may be stuff happening that you don't notice. 

Sven Moen

Update, 9 weeks later.

After completing Thrive One I decided to clean up my act, by adding four additional steps of my own:

  • Week 1: No alcohol. This wasn't too hard, especially since one can look forward to the weekly cheat day when everything's allowed :)
  • Week 2: No sugar. This went surprisingly easy, probably because I'm eating three very solid meals per day and never feel hungry. Thanks Thrive!
  • Week 3: No bread or pasta. This one was difficult, and it turns out I cannot make this 100%. If the family wants pasta, pie or tortillas for dinner, I feel obliged to go along.
  • Week 4: No coffee. Saved this one for last since I expected it to be the hardest - I used to drink about 12 cups/day. And I sure missed my coffee for the first couple of weeks, but not anymore.

By adding these steps I feel I'm true to the spirit of Thrive and not just the letters of the steps. I also feel calmer and more clear headed. My body fat percentage has decreased, slowly but consistently. During Thrive I lost about 3 pounds, and now I've lost 7 more. The fat pants are back in the closet!

Jeff Serven

Nice job! Im impressed with the sequence of the four weeks, from easiest to hardest (for me). True to spirt indeed. Very nice work. 10 pounds!!!! Thats great. This is the reality of heathy body compassion change - smart, hard work over time. Man, time flies, its been 9 weeks since you've been done with Thrive. 

Great work