This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Lentils

Started by Johannes Thumser, March 15, 2016 · 7 Replies · 226 Views

Jeff Serven

Im not sure if its a german thing. I would count lintels as a starch although technically a vegetable. 

Cameron Williams

What about homemade mushy peas? I make them with split peas.... which category would this fall under?

Or should these be avoided?

 

 

Jeff Serven

I would count any and all legumes under a starch. I don't know that I would recommend them as you don't hear me say anything about them in Thrive but a once in a while thing is okay. They got lumped in with white bread and are considered evil by some, far from true but never the less they aren't one of the top foods. 

Cameron Williams

Got it.. Good thing I don't really want to eat mushy peas on the regular:lol:

Thanks Jeff!

Douglas Reinot

"I would count any and all legumes under a starch."

Does this include legumes consumed intact with the pod i.e. snap peas and green beans?

Jeff Serven

Good question Douglas and one I had never though of. My answer here is starting to have some incongruence. Green beans don't have enough carbs to count as a starch. You would just have to eat way to may of them. 

For general use; count anything that is not listed in Thive that is hirer in carbs as a starch. Beans, bread and what not. This way you don't over eat carbs. Im not suggesting they are optimal just training to mitigate eating 400g carbs at a meal. 

I know how this thread could confuse people so if after reading this you still have clarifying questions please ask. 

Douglas Reinot

Jeff-

That's kind of what I expected, but I wanted to make sure I was tracking correctly with your thinking. Peas (fresh or frozen) and green beans seem to be on par with other approved veggies when you look at the carb count, so I've been using them for lunch and dinner. 

Thanks as always for your response.