This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Chia seeds for breakfast

Started by Hugo Oliveira, March 14, 2016 · 7 Replies · 203 Views

Hugo Oliveira

Hi Jeff,

What would you say of chia seeds for breakfast instead of organic oat flakes? Would this be a nice carb-free alternative?

Just to make it clear, I ask this in this lesson's forum because coupled with the Dinner Protein goal, we have the lesson on Breakfast Construction.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards

James Hall

From memory of another post: to get sufficient protein from them you would have to eat a ton; getting a rather much larger carb load. Not much of an answer, I know, but what you might from the chia would be better at lunch. 

Hugo Oliveira

Hi James,

Thanks but that really was not my point. I do not include oat flakes as a protein source so chia seeds would definitely not be a protein source for me.

In Jeff's lesson regarding breakfast construction and from his answer on the steel cut oats' topic, I was left with the impression that it would be a good idea to avoid carbs altogether for breakfast so that one could up the body fat burning process we start during sleep. Presently, I have carbs for breakfast as it typically includes about 3 tablespoons of oat flakes (but not only), which doesn't quite make it to 1/3 cup. So I looked up nutrition data regarding chia seeds and they seem to have no carb content. However, I was interested in Jeff's view on this. Also, would the same quantity of chia seeds (around 3 tablespoons) be a good alternative? Probably it could be considered the fat to be included in breakfast, no?

Again thank you James for giving a shot though.

Best regards

Jeff Serven

Chia seeds have about 12-15g carbs per ounce. An ounce at breakfast isn't going to kill you but also some fine details: I said oat flakes are okay(using the ones outlined in the course) but I never said anything about eating them for breakfast. 

I would count Chia seeds as a fat. Do you like the taste or is it a "heath" reason why you eat them? 

By oat flakes do you mean rolled oats or is it something different?

Jeff Serven
3 hours ago, Hugo Oliveira said:

 

Again thank you James for giving a shot though.

Best regards

This is what is missing from the internet. Thats is why I hate the internet. People forget all curtsies and respect for other people. Thanks for this Hugo!

You guys are a good bunch.

 

P.S. If we were face to face I would still make all the same jokes. Cheers! 

Hugo Oliveira

Hi Jeff,

Thank you so much for answering.

My current breakfast is something like 3 tablespoons of rolled organic oat flakes (doesn't quite make it 1/3 cup), about 15 gr of vegan protein powder (no soy, a mixture of hemp, brown rice and pea protein), 3 tablespoons of dried coconut flakes and 1 dessert  spoon of almond butter all mixed with rice milk/beverage (love the mixture's taste). When I paid a closer attention to the breakfast construction lesson I started looking for alternatives for the oat flakes. Chia seeds could be a possibility and also, considering the fat content, I would/could take out the almond butter as well.

So to answer your question, chia seeds would be a "health" choice and I am referring to rolled oats indeed (sorry, in Portuguese we call them flakes) :)

Once again thank you for answering Jeff.

Best regards

 

p.s. I try to follow mostly a vegan eating style due to past trial-and-error experiences with myself. When I tried removing dairy and meat from my meals was when I started to feel better, lighter and "more ready" for work (and training as well). Just personal experience.

Jeff Serven

Hugo,

As long as you are getting the fat and protein in you are good. Worry about the rest when the step comes. I wouldn't get too worked about adding a fat because you already have almond butter. If you like Chia seeds then go ahead and add em' 

Hugo Oliveira

Ok Jeff.

Indeed I am always trying to go one step ahead. :) 

I will try to follow your advice and keep to each step as it comes along.

Thank you once more for your help in clearing things up. 

Best regards