This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL/PE3 Form Check. how is this plank?

Started by Miguel Rosa, March 13, 2016 · 15 Replies · 235 Views

Miguel Rosa

Hi everyone!

I wanted to ask you if the form of my plank is good or bad.

Thanks!

 

vlcsnap-error140.png

Cole Dano

Two points to start with -

Hands should be directly under the shoulders, not in front

From this angle it looks like your scapula are sticking out, you need to really push into the floor and hollow your chest so they don't stick out

Miguel Rosa

Thanks for comments. When you say sticking out, do you mean "winging" the scapula and sinking down by not using back muscles?

Alessandro Mainente

Winging is when scapula move out from the body and you can see the medial line of it like your photo. you need to depress them so that they more far from ears and push yourself of tho floor so that they move on the side flattening of the rib cage.

Miguel Rosa

Ok, thanks. great.
How do you see the medial line of the scapula in the photo? is it because the shoulders/scapulas are too close to the ear?

I will pay more at depressing, coz I was thinking about pushing myself of the floor, but not about depressing the scapulas. thanks!

Cole Dano

I've marked what we are seeing in red. 

35enKeZ.png

Mike Ross

Have I improved in my planks? or do I still need to correct more things?

I have been trying to work with the scapulas as you said, but I am not sure if the general line of the plank has been altered.

 

No. 1:

vlcsnap-error263.png

 

no. 2:

vlcsnap-error825.png

 

no. 3:

vlcsnap-error910.png

Cole Dano

Yes this is a good start. 

There are some things to work on, but lets get this position solid first and then we can talk about refining it.

Mike Ross

I think I am ready to refine it, because I am testing mastery and I can do all the sets and reps with the mobility, with no problem.

Do I pass to the next exercise? or my form is not good/solid to be able to pass mastery and need to work another week more with some corrections?

 

Mike Ross

I am just a bit confused because when I started, I thought that plank was a straight line from shoulders to toes... but after checking the forums and videos, I saw that it is not like that.

At first, I would say that my biggest mistake is the pelvis... because it looks that Im hinging/piking my pelvis, and I should PPT, isnt it?
But I dont have it clear. There are two videos in https://my.gymnasticbodies.com/spl-pe3/ and I saw that both are hunching/hollowing, so there is not a straight line from shoulders to toes. Although, the girl on the video in hunching/hollowing at the middle point of the scapulas, and the boy on the video is not that curved and the point of hunching/hollowing seems at a lower point.

Cole Dano

You were right about the ideal being a straight line. If you imagine a point at your shoulders, hips and ankles, you'd ideally be able to draw a line through all three points. With the added stipulations that the body is 'hollow' hips in PPT and the shoulders are protracted and depressed

So the refinement is just to try to lower your hips into that line keeping the above stipulations in mind.

Mike Ross

Ok, great clarification! Im gonna focus on that from now, starting in today's training! thanks!

Mike Ross

New attempt. I think I got it! Or at least I felt it very close. What you think?

vlcsnap-error574.png

Cole Dano

Looks good.

Be sure to submit a video as well if you can, helps to see how steady and fixed you are in the position.

We've had some member submit photos that looked good but then when a vide was posted, they were never in the same position for more than a second...

You look so solid here, that I doubt that's the case, but when it comes to form checks a video is worth a thousand stills.

Mike Ross

How this look like? does it look solid?
 

 

Cole Dano

Looks good!