This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shoulder impingement

Started by Jason Guitreau, March 13, 2016 · 4 Replies · 213 Views

Jason Guitreau

I've had a minor left shoulder impingement since I was a kid. It has flared up a few times to severe but I've managed to keep it under control mostly with band excersizes. I am finding some of these movements put it in a little stress but it feels better after I'm done. Anyone have experience with this condition and if gst has helped or made it worse?

Cole Dano

GST certainly can help. There are a plethora of shoulder mobility exercises in the course particularly in the RC and HBP progressions. You can take them and do them as a short series on a regular basis and find the ones that help you the most.

In general when doing the exercises, don't do them mechanically, rather really try to feel what's happening as it relates to your shoulder issue.

Jason Guitreau

Thanks. I get what you are saying. For instance the German swings. Overhead work is challenging so I was skeptical if I could do these. First few reps were no go. Then I tried to relax and pull the shoulders back more. First few didn't feel good again but by about rep 5, I was able to relax more and get past the sticking point. At that point, it started feeling great and could knock out many reps. Similarly with hs/pe1-im. Some sticky points but once I find a good position, the static hold/stretch feels good. Just hope getting past the sticking points doesn't start to cause inflammation. 

Cole Dano

For specific iM's you can always submit a form check or just ask for advice on scaling the movements etc.

If German Arm Swings are a concern for you, then we really do need to proceed with care at first. Finding the right movement shouldn't be a source of further irritation.

You might start with doing smaller swing, or even just draw imaginary circles with your arms letting so you can more slowly work up to the over head portion.

Jason Guitreau

Gotcha