This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Fat, activities and cholesterol

Started by Guido Franchetti, March 12, 2016 · 8 Replies · 259 Views

Guido Franchetti

Second general question today, I hope you bear with me Jeff! So, another thing which has been bothering me is wether I should control a bit more the amount of fats eaten daily. The "conventional nutritional advice" for normal folks seems to be to limit fats consumption because of weight and health (cholesterol mainly I think) reasons. Practically the advice usually becomes reduced fat diary (something we have already discussed in the case of milk), white meat, not much cheese and so on, some of which are dissimilar to Jeff's prescriptions. This brings me a couple of questions:

1) Is Thrive appropriate for a sedentary lifestyle or should some changes be made? Currently I exercise around 3 times a week for about an hour and a half. I still count that a sedentary as my work is of the desk type. I surely plan to keep doing that, but would Thrive be appropriate for someone not exercising at all?

In my case Thrive is working well on this respect: despite having definitely increased my fats consumption if anything I have lost 1 kg (it has been a stressful period so I am not sure I can credit the weight loss entirely to Thrive but it is no making me gain weight). I would be interested in understanding better how eating fats actually makes your body more proficient at burning fats, is there any place (or step to wait for) where I can read about that?

2) Cholesterol: at my gym periodic controls of general health are part of the package. I had a first check on October 2015, when I had just started going back to some training, and the value was already a bit high: 199 mg/dl. Recently (March 8th) I had a second control. Most everything had improved, but cholesterol was at 252 mg/dl. I do not know if this could be a consequence of the higher amount of fats (whole milk rather than reduced fat, more yoghurt, salmon, nuts, avocado, meat) I have been eating since following Thrive (I started around February 1st) and /or if the measurement is strongly affected by what I ate on the day (I remember lunch was a very fatty piece of meat at my workplace canteen). In any case, what would you suggest doing to reduce the cholesterol amount?

 

By the way, in this and other posts I have no intentions of challenging Jeff's advice. But as he is a very competent person I feel it is appropriate to ask him about things I do not fully understand or bits and pieces of Thrive which are apparently at odds with the "conventional nutritional advice".

Jeff Serven

Guido,

No problem, a long question is just a well thought out one. 

1) Guido! Are you saying "your asking for your friend who doesn't workout" AKA you? Start by doing the stretch series if you are currently doing nothing. Yes, Thrive is designed for optimal human (homo sapiens) heath. Thrive is designed to get your body working correctly/optimally. It is not a body builder physique diet program. 

No. Thrive is responsible for all of that 1kg of fat loss. Haha just joking.Watch and read Fats 102 when you get there. It will answer your question completely. 

2) Total Cholesterol is the 1980 marker of heath. Tell your gym to live in the now. Partial fraction, size, triglycerides and so on. Anyone that gives you a heath score if you will based of CHO is kinda a bone head. A month of Thrive isn't enough time to tell. You also need more numbers to populate a graph. 2 markers is nothing. Your Oct 2015 may be abnormally low. For all you know it was 300 early 2015. Your on the right path, just keep getting bloodwork and we will go from there. 

Sorry to pass you off and tell you wait until Fat 102 but it address this exact question. 

Note: I call out "Human (homo sapiens)" because its a distinction between myself/Thrive and Primal or Paleo. They base their reconditions off of all upright walking creatures from neanderthals to Homo Erectus over the past 2.5MYA to 10k years ago. I only care about homo sapiens and completely disregard other species as it relates to our heath. 

Guido Franchetti

I, er my friend also thinks there is a really cute girl hanging out on this forum but is not really sure on how to approach her, do you think a badly filmed early stage H1 PE2 performance could impress her?  Hahaha kidding, but I am training, I swear. Had you asked me before October 2015 the answer would have been different though.

So I take that I do not have to do anything special about my cholesterol level right now, but it would not hurt to keep taking measurements from time to time. Which frequency would you suggest? Also, I guess for the more detailed cholesterol specs you mention I would probably need to go a specialised sport/medical centre, right?

Jeff Serven

You could give it 6 months in-betweens test. 

For the more detailed stuff you can get them at any doctor you just have to go in there and ask. Docs do not care - they will give you whatever you want as long as it doesn't get them in trouble. My GP does tons of blood work for me. He only wants me out of his office in 10 minutes or less. 

 

Sam Andersen

Jeff,

I will be going to the doctor in a couple of weeks to get some blood work done.  What would you suggest I ask them to test for so that I can begin to measure the improvement of my health?

Jeff Serven

Sorry my friend, not included in thrive. If I told you then I would have to tell you why. And, that would basically be me explaining Thrive 1-10. 

Sam Andersen

Got it.  Thanks.

Si Hoang
14 hours ago, Jeff Serven said:

Sorry my friend, not included in thrive. If I told you then I would have to tell you why. And, that would basically be me explaining Thrive 1-10. 

There's a level 10? Holy s**t! You have my curiosity piqued now Jeff ;)

Jeff Serven

haha...it was more a figure of speech