This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Amaranthus

Started by Artur Krajewski, March 11, 2016 · 3 Replies · 123 Views

Artur Krajewski

Jeff, what is your opinion on Amaranthus? Is it Thrive complaint? Does it count as dinner starch?

I have read here and there that it is nutrient-dense(especially fiber and  iron) and easy to digest.

Popped amaranthus is very convenient when one is low on time, no preparation is necessary.

Can you comment on that? If not for dinner, maybe it is good idea to include it as a snack?

Jeff Serven

To be honest with you Artur I have never herd of it. Can you give me a day or two time for some research? 

Artur Krajewski

Absolutely no problem. Since we are aiming at setting nutriotion habits for life days do not bother me at all. 

Here in Poland I can find it in every shop that has 'healthy food' corner :-). I could understand if its not so widespread elsewhere.

The label of one I currently have says: (no photo because label is only in Polish)

  • Ingredients: Expanded/Popped seeds of amaranthus
  • Fat - 6,8g
  • Carbohydrate - 56g
  • Fiber - 11g
  • Protein - 16g
  • Salt - 0,05g
  • Iron - 7,6mg(54% of recommended daily dose)
  • Magnesium - 250mg (66% of recommended daily dose)
Jeff Serven

http://www.ars-grin.gov/ars/MidWest/Ames/repository/oldsitearchive/Reports_New/Special_Reports/Amaranth/Legacy92.pdf

Some interesting information about it in the first half of this. Apparently its one of the oldest crops in the USA, the southwest (where I live) to boot. Funny. Thanks for asking this question. I learned something. This first half is also a good view at how goofy the FDA operates and how subjective "GRAS" is. 

Yea, I think your okay based off of my initial searching. I will let you know if I come across anything that raises a red flag.