Hey all,
I just wanted to give some notes on how training for me has been the last month or so.
I have had trouble really developing swings on rings for the longest time. At best, I could get my shoulders at the height of the rings. The biggest problem was that my shoulders were very tight. I stretched them everyday and could do a slow dislocate on the rings no problem, but the coaches here in Shanghai still said it wasn't enough.
About 2 weeks ago, I picked up a 1.5kg weight belt and wore it for a set of swings. I then wore this belt for EVERYTHING I did on rings. Strength, swings, and even stretching! I took it off one day and did a set of swings and I felt I got a lot higher! The coaches even said that I had gotten higher. So after that first week with the belt, I added metal plates that slide into slots on the belt. I proceeded to do that entire week of training with the weight belt again!
I trained rings like normal, but I just had the belt on. Yesterday, I went into the gym and added 2 more plates to the belt. The belt now weighs 3.5kg's. I did a warm up and a set of swings and strength with the belt and then took it off.
I think the results were amazing!! I could feel a difference even just stepping onto the platform to mount the rings!! I didn't even feel like I was hanging. I started swinging and on my back swing, I got into a high inverted cross position. I didn't know what to do for a front swing at that height so I just tucked my head in and inlocated! The coaches came over and told me to press down on the rings when I got on top now! I did a second set and I pressed down, but didn't get into handstand, but I think 2 more months of the weight belt and I can get there! I also did a set of strength without the belt and I felt AMAZING!! I really felt like I could hold a maltese for 20 seconds up there. On my cross pull to maltese, I almost lifted my body too high into an invert cross.
So, basically, my experience using the weight belt has been good so far. If anyone wants to try this method as well, let me know how it goes! Coach Sommer, what do you think about this training method. It seems that wearing a weight belt is a popular training method in China!