This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Fat with Dinner

Started by Cameron Williams, March 11, 2016 · 6 Replies · 213 Views

Cameron Williams

So it looks like there is no assigned fat portion for dinner, but what about things like butter on my broccoli, or oil to cook my potatoes?

How are these to be measured/addressed?

Thanks,

Cam

Jeff Serven

Use what you need to cook and be moderate with it but don't stress it more than that. For example, if you pan fry some meat its okay to cook it in fat but use less than a tablespoon. If you are adding butter to vegetables again keep it limited.

Its very easy to say "oh fats heathy" and then add tons of it to a meal. By heavily butting your food you can double the calorie content of a meal. Which is not all that big of a deal but considering you had fat for breakfast and lunch you really don't need any more. Plus large amounts of fat at dinner can make it more difficult to sleep. 

 

Cameron Williams

Got it.

So last might I made 4 portions of roast potatoes with 2 tbl each of olive oil and butter. There was also 1tbl of olive oil in my chicken marinade, and then I put a little butter on my broccoli.

Are these acceptable amounts?

Jeff Serven

Potatoes 2T of butter + 2T of olive oil = 4T of fat added

Chicken 1T of olive oil 

Broccoli 1T of butter

Total 6T of butter or olive oil. Thats approximately 6T x 14g = 84g of fat or 800 calories. 

If you ate all of that at one meal that would be quite high even for lunch. I would at least cut that in half. 

Cameron Williams

I didn't explain it clearly enough.

4T of fat for 4 portions of potatoes, so, 1T for my dinner portion.

1T of olive oil for 2 portions of chicken - 1/2T for my dinner portion.

Broccoli - probably 1/3T, max 1/2T.

So I'm closer to 2T for dinner.

Jeff Serven

Ahhh! Yes you explained it correctly in the first one now that I re-read it. 

Yes that is  fine. but don't go much above that. 

Elke Saunders

This is good ^^^ info.