Ever since I started GB courses (late 2014?), I've progressed in strength and mobility in many different ways. However, since I started I have not been able to master FKP/PE1. The last time I made progress in FKP/PE1 might have been over a year ago. Since then, my ROM has not changed at all. I do FKP/PE1 daily, every few hours when I'm at work, I would just stand up and do a few reps on my table, and that slowly adds up to quite a bit throughout the day. I thought that it might have been due to a lack of mobility in my wrists, but I've seen an increase in wrist mobility, but it hasn't transferred to an increase in FKP/PE1
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
I don't think I will ever be able to master FKP/PE1
Started by Alan Tseng, March 11, 2016 · 13 Replies · 584 Views
Be patience Alan, I started to work for bridge in late 2012, and i 've not yet reached the quality that I want.
PE1 never gave me much activation of the muscles, are you certain that that isn't in any way involved? Perhaps it isn't, but it wasn't until PE3 that I truly began to feel joint and muscle activation in my wrists, fingers, and foreams (for all of the wrist series). Prior to PE3, I was just forcing exertion and spinning my wheels. Just my two cents, hope it clears up for you.
I have been doing this one for over 2 years now and I have made progress on the other wrist elements but this one is also very slow for me. I have gone from about 30` on both hands to almost 90` on my left and up to about 45` on my right hand. Glacial progress but still progress. I do HS1 once a week but it sort of works for me as I don't have a high recovery rate. One thing is that the warm up stretches don't seem to address this movement so I have sometimes bent them a little before hand and shake them about to warm them up a bit.
Also the other wrist elements are probably more useful so I am not so concerned about this element and am happy to just patiently turn up, do the training and see what happens.
I've also been doing Handstands for a little over 2 years and it took me quite a while to progress through the 4 pushup exercises. After I mastered all the PE1's the other PE's came easier.
I don't think doing FKP/PE1 on the table is the same as doing them on the wall. When you're doing them against the wall and lean on your hands a little bit does it become easier / do you get a little better range of motion? Maybe you could post a video for a technique check?
As of about a month ago I started FKP/PE4. When I first started them I was getting knuckle cracks, lol. Not so much anymore, now they feel good. I also just started Fingertip Pushups SE4 and they feel good too. So I think the four styles of pushups stretch and strengthen the wrists and fingers in ways that make them feel good.
Kudos on looking for a solution to your stagnation as I believe the Wrist Stretches and four styles of pushups will help prevent arthritis in the fingers and wrists. In fact IMHO all the gb stuff will help prevent arthritis throughout the body.
I've been having this problem too. Been doing HS series for maybe 8 or 9 months. For much of the time, including the last few months, I've practiced FKP/PE1 every day. I'd do a set, then put my fingers in the final position and hold for 30 seconds. Sometimes I'd use my other hand to push upward on my palm to make the stretch more intense.
I did see progress at first, but it's stagnated for probably the last 6 months. Some days I see mobility go down.
i still haven't mastered FKP. some days i can do FKP|SE4(mastery) and sometimes i can't (somedays will be really tighter than the other days and i guess that is normal). i have been a gamer almost my whole life that is why my knuckles/fingers are super tight. i just wanna share what helped me in the First Knuckle Pushup. when i was at your level, i rarely attempted the final position but instead i've tried doing it in kneeling position (i tried doing it in Cat-Cow position so i would be able to save time) and lastly i did follow GymnasticBodies Handstand Challenge which really helped me progress at a significantly fast pace. you are not alone @James Koppel some days i also see my mobility go down. it will really take time for permanence (probably years). just enjoy the process, there are a lot of things we need to work on.
Knees?
By final position, I meant the final position of FKP/PE1, not FKP/SE4. Don't see how doing it on my knees would help.
Maybe what Leo is saying is, you may want to try it on your knees because that way you "load" the exercise more which gives you a deeper/stronger stretch.
The ROM depicted as the goal is actually a very "normal" ROM. However, if you have joint injuries in the past it will significantly affect it, and there may even be some structural differences in some people that might lead to it being impossible. I would say, however, that increasing ROM in contracted tendons of the hand will likely take years to improve, but it is worth doing. Many of my older patients with hand arthritis can't even get their fingers past parallel to the hand! The better your mobility through this area, the less likely you will be to have problems down the road. I would echo what some have said, which is that if you've been working PE1 for that long it may be wise to progress it and get more load. You may not be getting enough stimulus.
Interesting, thanks. I can't think of any hand injuries, but I don't know about structural differences. I guess then I will progress to PE2, and continue training it frequently.
Still a long way from mastering this exercise, but I feel like the advice of moving onto FKP/PE2 has helped a bit since when I created this topic
I am just curious, is FKP/PE1 the same like HS/PE1? I only do HS and just being nosy if there is a difference or if there are the same?
No one refers to wrist preparation and another to handstand preparation. by the way there is no handstand with weak wrists or fingers.