This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Aged Cheddar

Started by Sam Andersen, March 11, 2016 · 4 Replies · 131 Views

Sam Andersen

I found some aged cheddar but I can't tell if it is Thrive compliant.  It doesn't say pasteurized but it also doesn't say raw. What do you think?IMG_20160310_171525203.thumb.jpg.a3d46cf

Douglas Reinot

Jeff has us conditioned to instinctively post labels. I wonder what other sorts of mind games are going on that I haven't noticed.

Tillamook's website indicates that if the cheese is NOT made with pasteurized milk it is made with "heat-shocked" milk, which is cooked, just not to as high a temperature.

"Some of our cheeses are made from pasteurized milk and some are made from heat-shocked milk. Heat-shocked milk is heated to 152 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 seconds.  Pasteurized milk is heated to 161 Fahrenheit for 15 seconds."

It's definitely not raw. They claim that the heat-shocking process maintains the integrity of the enzymes denatured by pasteurization.  I'm curious to hear Jeff's thoughts, too, I just wanted to chime in with what I found. Is there a more perfect food in heaven and earth than cheese?

Sam Andersen

Douglas,  

Thanks for the info.  That was very informative and helpful.  I too am curious what Jeff will say about it.  Thank you!

Jeff Serven

Its defiantly not properly aged cheddar but it also probably cost a fraction of the cost. If you buy only "real" cheese you are in for a large increase to your grocery bill. 

Tillamook's decent cheese. I think you are okay. 

Sam Andersen

Thanks for the answer!