This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Deload effort - easy or hard?

Started by Jason Naubur, March 10, 2016 · 2 Replies · 125 Views

Jason Naubur

When I do my deload weeks, I often find myself making the movements more challenging. ie slower, with hold, raise/lower feet etc. Should I just 'take it easy'? or am I OK with focussing on perfect form for the 1/2 reps but at a similar intensity.

Example: HBP/PE2 (pushup / xiaopeng) I put my feet up on blocks for the pushups and while I lessen the weight for the xiao I go very slowly.

or for RC/PE1 (hinge row / lat lean) I do my lessened reps slowly and deliberately with a hold at the top on the last rep of each set.

Am I missing the point of Deload or am I on point?

Jeremy Huston

The point is to give your body a break. So focus on perfect form for the 1/2 reps with similar intensity.

Christian Nogueira

It'll often feel like you could do more. Resist that temptation to make the exercise harder and more intense to make up for the fact that you are doing less reps. Focus on form but don't make it harder.