This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Healthy Fats

Started by Sam Andersen, March 10, 2016 · 4 Replies · 181 Views

Sam Andersen

Jeff,

I know some of the healthy fats are butter from grass fed cows, coconut oil, olive oil, whole milk etc.  What are your thoughts about pure lard?  Not the hydrogenated stuff but lard from pasture raised pigs.  And while on this topic what about beef tallow?  Thanks

Jeff Serven

Yea they are legit. I did not add them because I did not want to overwhelm and confuse people. Tallow is not a very mainstream popular thing if ya' know what I mean. Good question. 

Sam Andersen

Thanks.  I am going to try lard with my eggs in a couple of days.  I think if I like it I will just make my own lard in the future.

David Fogelson

Lard is surprisingly to make as well. My first attempt is in a mason jar in my fridge and only took me about 15 minutes of work with my crock pot (mostly from storing and cleaning up). I made it the back fat of a pastured pig, sold by the farm I get my grass-fed beef and pork from.

Sam Andersen
4 hours ago, David Fogelson said:

Lard is surprisingly to make as well. 

I was surprised as well how easy it is to make.  No time at all. No difficult skill required.