Hello Everyone,
I have a SI joint injury and I'd really appreciate whatever advice you may have as to how to rehabilitate and train around it. This post may be a little long, but I think it really has potential to help other people with SI joint pain as well.
Unlike most people with SI joint pain, I don't have hamstring flexibility issues and can easy touch my toes and touch my head to my knees. Most of the advice for SI joint rehab is centered around stretching hamstrings and increasing core strength.
I originally injured it at around March after performing a barbell squat in which my lower back just slightly rounded. After a couple weeks of rest, it was about 95% better, and I could only feel pain when performing excessive lumbar arching (like in a cobra stretch).
Then when I was performing Single Leg Squats a few weeks later, I felt the right SI joint give out and again I was faced with the same pain. It only hurt when straying from a perfectly neutral pelvic tilt at first, and after the original pain subsided, it only hurt with excessive lumbar arching.
I went through this same 95% healing & re-injury cycle, re-injuring the joint with Single leg squats, barbell squats (never deadlifts interestingly enough), & press to handstands.
I can, however, perform Bowers negatives, back levers on rings and front lever progressions without any pain at all. Only SLS, ab wheel rollouts, and anything that requires lumbar arching hurts.
Does anyone have experience with this sort of injury?
Thanks.
- Andrew