This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

standing overgrip dislocate with weighted bar?

Started by Simon Piccirillo, March 9, 2016 · 15 Replies · 413 Views

Simon Piccirillo

How heavy would you guys recommend going up to? 

I'm currently experimenting with a 3kg bar and am not sure if I should aim to achieve mastery with this weight or I should go heavier? 

Any ideas? 

 

Thanks 

Simon 

 

Sorry if this has been repeated elsewhere, I did try the search function, but couldn't find what i was looking for. 

 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Check the wiki on this. There is a post by Joshua Slocum that speaks to this specific question in much more detail.

Petri Widsten

My understanding is that the dislocates should be built up to 7-8 kg before progressing while 20 kg is a good long-term goal.

Jon Douglas

20kg reps are good. I can still get a couple of these, but at shoulder +1 width I'm down at 10kg right now.

 

Somewhere around 15kg you notice your medial delts inflating. It's kind of cool.

Simon Piccirillo

Thanks for the response guys, I will see how 8kg does me to start with and I'll build up from there. 

Appreciate the support, you guys are awesome

Simon Piccirillo

Daniel , I'm not sure how to search Joshua Slocums stuff in the wiki but you guys have pretty much answered the question here by the sounds of it. 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

It seems the wiki disappeared with the forum reboot.

Andreas Dietzel

Hi,

TL;DR: just read the underlined sections ;)

I'm having huge challenges with this exercise ("Standing Overgrip Dislocate with Weighted Bar"), and with "Standing Undergrip Dislocate with Weighted Bar" in my HS1 course.

My shoulders are extremely tight.

I suffered through the Standing Overgrip Dislocate with Weighted Bar-sessions with a 3kg bar. However, I had to attach that weighted bare to a kung fu staff, so the bar would be long enough for the wide grip I needed to be able to do the dislocations. Even then, my form was pretty bad, and elbows were bending on some reps.

I just started the Standing Undergrip Dislocate with Weighted Bar-sessions today, but on Step1 I chose to just use the kung fu staff without the 3kg bar attached. Again, I had to keep an extremely wide grip, almost to the point of ridiculousness(!), but I could do the dislocations with straight elbows and no pain.

I am wondering if there are even less difficult versions of these two drills (say, same drill but with a resistance band instead of weighted bar, or just continue with a non weighted wooden staff) that I can be doing instead?

Or if there are other complementary drills I could be working on?

...but still log sets and reps on the above drills so I can advance ;)

On the bright side, the wrist work is going great! I have definitely cleaned up some weaknesses I've had for years and that have resulted in pain on a regular basis. Since starting HS1, there have been none of that wrist pain :D

Alessandro Mainente
20 hours ago, Andreas Dietzel said:

Hi,

TL;DR: just read the underlined sections ;)

I'm having huge challenges with this exercise ("Standing Overgrip Dislocate with Weighted Bar"), and with "Standing Undergrip Dislocate with Weighted Bar" in my HS1 course.

My shoulders are extremely tight.

I suffered through the Standing Overgrip Dislocate with Weighted Bar-sessions with a 3kg bar. However, I had to attach that weighted bare to a kung fu staff, so the bar would be long enough for the wide grip I needed to be able to do the dislocations. Even then, my form was pretty bad, and elbows were bending on some reps.

I just started the Standing Undergrip Dislocate with Weighted Bar-sessions today, but on Step1 I chose to just use the kung fu staff without the 3kg bar attached. Again, I had to keep an extremely wide grip, almost to the point of ridiculousness(!), but I could do the dislocations with straight elbows and no pain.

I am wondering if there are even less difficult versions of these two drills (say, same drill but with a resistance band instead of weighted bar, or just continue with a non weighted wooden staff) that I can be doing instead?

Or if there are other complementary drills I could be working on?

...but still log sets and reps on the above drills so I can advance ;)

On the bright side, the wrist work is going great! I have definitely cleaned up some weaknesses I've had for years and that have resulted in pain on a regular basis. Since starting HS1, there have been none of that wrist pain :D

HI Andreas, usually bid difficulties appear often when there. is no decent amount of range of motion in the previous mobility elements. so....i suggest so post the mastery of AT LEAST IM 1-5. let us give you feedback..because if there is more work to do on pre req....it should be done..properly.

Andreas Dietzel

Thank you for the quick response Alessandro!

I apologize for my lack of knowledge her, but "IM 1-5" are the previous mobility drills thus far?

I have definitely not striven for mastery in the shoulder mobility drills.
I have completed the reps, sets and workouts to the best of my ability, and after Step 9/9, however bad form I might have had, I advanced to next level. 

If my new thinking is correct, it sounds like I should go back to Static Seated Shoulder Flexion with Weighted Bar, and probably stay there for a very long time! :D 
In all honesty, I now think I need a drill below this level even(!)


From my notes I can state the following when it comes to the shoulder mobility drills:

Static Seated Shoulder Flexion with Weighted Bar:
This was extremely challenging to me. I used a wooden broom handle that weigh basically nothing, and I put a 2,5kg small weight plate on it. SEE PIC BELOW from my first HS1 work out back in May.

Static Standing Shoulder Extension with Weighted Bar:
This was also difficult; I never was able to lift the bar to be level with my shoulders (wooden stick +2,5kg), but I did gradually improve throughout the steps.

Seated Shoulder Flexion Reps with Weighted Bar:
Also very challenging with wooden stick +2,5kg

Standing Shoulder Extension with Weighted Bar:
I never was able to lift the bar to be level with my shoulders (wooden stick +2,5kg), but I did gradually improve throughout the steps.

Interestingly, for the wrist work I've started over if I felt my form was lacking.

What ever scale back i need to do for my next work out when it comes to shoulder mobility drills, I will record and it and link to the clip here.

2020-05-28_HS1_Static_Seated_Shoulder_Flexion_w_Weighted_Bar.thumb.jpg.d11a4ca8de1f5204ddd36db36e7f77f6.jpg

Alessandro Mainente
17 hours ago, Andreas Dietzel said:

Thank you for the quick response Alessandro!

I apologize for my lack of knowledge her, but "IM 1-5" are the previous mobility drills thus far?

I have definitely not striven for mastery in the shoulder mobility drills.
I have completed the reps, sets and workouts to the best of my ability, and after Step 9/9, however bad form I might have had, I advanced to next level. 

If my new thinking is correct, it sounds like I should go back to Static Seated Shoulder Flexion with Weighted Bar, and probably stay there for a very long time! :D 
In all honesty, I now think I need a drill below this level even(!)


From my notes I can state the following when it comes to the shoulder mobility drills:

Static Seated Shoulder Flexion with Weighted Bar:
This was extremely challenging to me. I used a wooden broom handle that weigh basically nothing, and I put a 2,5kg small weight plate on it. SEE PIC BELOW from my first HS1 work out back in May.

Static Standing Shoulder Extension with Weighted Bar:
This was also difficult; I never was able to lift the bar to be level with my shoulders (wooden stick +2,5kg), but I did gradually improve throughout the steps.

Seated Shoulder Flexion Reps with Weighted Bar:
Also very challenging with wooden stick +2,5kg

Standing Shoulder Extension with Weighted Bar:
I never was able to lift the bar to be level with my shoulders (wooden stick +2,5kg), but I did gradually improve throughout the steps.

Interestingly, for the wrist work I've started over if I felt my form was lacking.

What ever scale back i need to do for my next work out when it comes to shoulder mobility drills, I will record and it and link to the clip here.

2020-05-28_HS1_Static_Seated_Shoulder_Flexion_w_Weighted_Bar.thumb.jpg.d11a4ca8de1f5204ddd36db36e7f77f6.jpg

Hey Andreas this is exactly what i was saying. this range of motion does not match the requirements for considering the seated shoulder flexion MASTERED. 

Consider that a dislocate passes from a minimum of shoulder flexion. if you cannot previously move the arm into a specific shoulder flexion range of movement then the following dislocated will necessarily move outside this range of motion. this means that if you master the shoulder flexion with a grip that is double the shoulder distance..the dislocate probably will appear with a grip that is 2.5 the shoulder distance...at least.

In your specific case..as i mentioned more times:

-RANGE OF MOTION COMES FIRST: FULL SHOULDER FLEXION;

-you do not need additional weight;

-you do not need to reduce the grip

if you cannot reach a180° of shoulder flexion first!

Andreas Dietzel

Again, thank you very much Alessandro!!! :):):)

Just to be crystal clear here, and weed out any possible miscommunication, what I should do for shoulder mobility from now on is:

Static Seated Shoulder Flexion, with no weight (just the wooden stick I have), until I can do this drill and keep 180 degree in the static hold?

 

Alessandro Mainente
On 9/25/2020 at 9:39 AM, Andreas Dietzel said:

Again, thank you very much Alessandro!!! :):):)

Just to be crystal clear here, and weed out any possible miscommunication, what I should do for shoulder mobility from now on is:

Static Seated Shoulder Flexion, with no weight (just the wooden stick I have), until I can do this drill and keep 180 degree in the static hold?

 

Well...begin with a minimum weight of 1 kg....then search a width that permits to reach the 180° of full flexion. the more you are locked the more you need to increase the distance in between hands...then reduce the grip with the time without sacrificing the full flexion. when you are almost at shoulder-width grip you can increase the weight and begin the process.

Andreas Dietzel

Thank you Alessandro!

Went back to the old drawing board just now, with 3x10 second static hold. I held a grip wide enough to get 180 degree flexion, and this felt completely different! It felt like the top of a dislocate drill, and more of a stretching exercise than resistance exercise. I hope this is what it's supposed to feel like. When I first did this drill back in May with shoulder wide grip it felt like a pure static resistance drill, and it was very challenging as mentioned. I will record myself next time doing the drill and post a link to it here for comment.

Any quick pointers on how to go back to start on the mobility-videos in the HS1 program? When I select "see more", I only see the handstand drills from this section (and all the wrist drills), I do not see the mobility drills among all the videos.

Alessandro Mainente
On 9/27/2020 at 1:24 PM, Andreas Dietzel said:

Thank you Alessandro!

Went back to the old drawing board just now, with 3x10 second static hold. I held a grip wide enough to get 180 degree flexion, and this felt completely different! It felt like the top of a dislocate drill, and more of a stretching exercise than resistance exercise. I hope this is what it's supposed to feel like. When I first did this drill back in May with shoulder wide grip it felt like a pure static resistance drill, and it was very challenging as mentioned. I will record myself next time doing the drill and post a link to it here for comment.

Any quick pointers on how to go back to start on the mobility-videos in the HS1 program? When I select "see more", I only see the handstand drills from this section (and all the wrist drills), I do not see the mobility drills among all the videos.

In order to see the previous elements, you can access the library course in the top right corner of the page from the dumbell icon. select after the library course and navigate through the handstand one course, you will find the wrists work and finally on the right the "freestanding handstand".

Andreas Dietzel

Cheers!